Phoronix Redesign is live!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to have the preview of the news back
    I agree. I just fought this same battle with the admins of techreport.com. Their argument was that they were trying to attract new readership by featuring reviews/articles. I understand that the people who work for Phoronix put a lot of effort into and are very proud of their reviews. However, being a daily reader of Phoronix, I'd like to see news as the dominating feature of the front page, since news changes a lot faster than your reviews come out. You should at least give your readers that option (like techreport.com eventually gave its loyal readers).

And yes, there's
    a lot of wasted
    space and extra
    scrolling that I
    shouldn't have
    to do since I
    own a widesceen.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      You should at least give your readers that option (like techreport.com eventually gave its loyal readers).
      Using the old_home link I mentioned allows that as well as subscribing to the RSS feed.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Nice changes... definitely like the new banner and overall layout. I'm not sure which I'll use more though... home or old_home, but we'll see after a week or so.

Comment

Over all, I like the redesign. I do think it's a tad bit cluttered. That's a lot to squeeze in the home page. I suggest doing a tabs sort of organization (e.g. tabs named "Latest Articles" "Phoronix News" "Phoronix Reviews" "Popular In The Forums") That way, you have ample space to talk about each stuff without jamming it all down readers throats.

I also think these two sections are a bit redundant...

Last edited by niniendowarrior; 03 October 2007, 12:11 AM.

Comment

much better. i guess i won't have to tweak it with ff+greasemonkey/stylish...maybe ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
              Over all, I like the redesign. I do think it's a tad bit cluttered. That's a lot to squeeze in the home page. I suggest doing a tabs sort of organization (e.g. tabs named "Latest Articles" "Phoronix News" "Phoronix Reviews" "Popular In The Forums") That way, you have ample space to talk about each stuff without jamming it all down readers throats.

I also think these two sections are a bit redundant...

We are still discussing whether or not to use tabs, but it does seem like a cleaner option.

We haven't tweaked the redundant sections yet but it's on our list.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Keep it comin'!

Comment

Well, as long as you arrive at a cleaner solution. Might be interesting to do an ajax form that hides and shows those sections of the website.

Comment

Hmmm, to be honest:
                  I don't like the latest change in the design. I did prefer to see the news topics and articles mixed in the main column and having the articles listed on the left side for easier access. IMO it just looks really strange when using a width of ~1000px for the website since the single columns are rather narrow and reading ain't much fun.
                  Maybe the best mix of the old and current style would be to have news and "starts of articles" mixed in the middle, the general navigation on the left and the "complete article list" on the right. This would leave quite some space for the text in the middle and the news would be noticeable as they were before. I did really like those news...

Comment

Really
                    don't
                    the
                    new
                    design.

Makes
                    Phoronix
                    Look
                    A
                    Google
                    Ad.

Totally
                    ugly
                    on
                    a
                    widescreen.

Will
                    probably
                    stop
                    browsing
                    the
                    front
                    page -
                    again.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
                      Hmmm, to be honest:
                      I don't like the latest change in the design. I did prefer to see the news topics and articles mixed in the main column and having the articles listed on the left side for easier access. IMO it just looks really strange when using a width of ~1000px for the website since the single columns are rather narrow and reading ain't much fun.
                      Maybe the best mix of the old and current style would be to have news and "starts of articles" mixed in the middle, the general navigation on the left and the "complete article list" on the right. This would leave quite some space for the text in the middle and the news would be noticeable as they were before. I did really like those news...
                      I do think that most of these narrow article complaints is from the mere fact they really tried to jam a lot of sections in that one poor home page. I think it'll improve dramatically as soon as they can clean up the front page.

Comment

Working...
                      X