Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Time For A New Phoronix User Survey

Phoronix: It's Time For A New Phoronix User Survey

It's that time again to take a Phoronix user survey to help us out, which will also benefit the Linux hardware community and our open-source benchmarking efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have they looked at other surverys?

(for the anti-Apple readers, sorry, IDG came up with these prizes).

What do they use these surveys for again? Clearly they don't know the audience. System76 laptops were nice motivation for the Ubuntu App Showdown.

Comment

If I win the iPad, I'll post a video of me violently smashing it with a sledgehammer. Then I'll send the pieces to Michael so he can benchmark it.

The IDG survey is obviously for them to do market research on what advertisements to put on the site. Since I never see them anyway (premium subscriber and proud adblock user), I'm happy to add in my data point to show them I don't care.

I don't like IDG. They are too commercial, too focused on advertising (especially OBTRUSIVE advertising) and annoying users by constantly trying to sell something. Hey, IDG, wake up: you sell stuff by presenting well-reasoned logical arguments to people, not by showing whizzy flash ads. The text of Michael's articles is 100,000 times more likely to sell me a product than anything I would ever see from IDG.

In fact I have been gladly buying desktops and laptops with an Intel IGP for a while now thanks to Michael's continuing coverage of the progress of the Intel Linux drivers. Suck on that, IDG.

My buying decisions would be exactly the same if Michael's site were just plain text messages from a mailing list with zero advertisements and no hot-links, etc. That stuff is just there to "generate revenue", but the irony is that you aren't going to get any revenue from it anyway because everyone hates the ads so much that they wouldn't buy anything from them!

Michael, what's your recommendation for a good, affordable 2.5" SSD in the 512GB+ capacity range? Hopefully with TRIM and works well on Linux. Something to throw in my ThinkPad T530 in the caddy bay. I'm in the market for one but I'd weigh your opinion more heavily than your ad network sponsor.
      Last edited by allquixotic; 10 July 2012, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I'll admit that I started wondering if the survey would ever end, and then finally just started hitting the bottom answer on each page to get it to end. Has anyone at IDG actually tried to take it?

The vast majority of it could be summarised in one question: would video ads be useful to you

Comment

Originally posted by grotgrot View Post
          I'll admit that I started wondering if the survey would ever end, and then finally just started hitting the bottom answer on each page to get it to end. Has anyone at IDG actually tried to take it?

The vast majority of it could be summarised in one question: would video ads be useful to you
          I hate videos - they're always blocked at work

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            I hate videos - they're always blocked at work
            And the embed is always Flash...

Comment

So it's my phone number in exchange for possibly an iPad?...

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
              (for the anti-Apple readers, sorry, IDG came up with these prizes).

What do they use these surveys for again? Clearly they don't know the audience. System76 laptops were nice motivation for the Ubuntu App Showdown.
              Yeah, I'd like to see more Linux specific products from the smaller companies and especially the community hardware projects.
              Get anything you need done for you

System76 computers empower the world's curious and capable makers of tomorrow

I'll even take reviews of boxes from the customizers that will install Linux for you like http://www.pugetsystems.com/ and http://avadirect.com/ maybe he could even work with them to have a Phoronix branded custom gaming box that is assured to work perfectly "out of the box" with Linux or even better, assured to run Coreboot.

I'd also like to see Larabel get some proper gear and training for testing thermals and noise levels, though it'd be too much to ask for him to get into how to review the electrical system properly. If he could do some overclocking as well, especially if he could get his hands on an infrared camera it'd make for some interesting hardware reviews.

Comment

Also "2. Who Can Enter: The drawing is open to any adult 18 years old or older at the time of the entry and a legal resident of the 50 United States" would be nice to state this upfront.

I always check when I'm being offered something, because being from Europe I'm good enough to see ads, but never to get something cool, but this could be stated in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                  Also "2. Who Can Enter: The drawing is open to any adult 18 years old or older at the time of the entry and a legal resident of the 50 United States" would be nice to state this upfront.

I always check when I'm being offered something, because being from Europe I'm good enough to see ads, but never to get something cool, but this could be stated in the article.
                  Thank you for saving me a lot of time!

Comment

Bah. I thought this was the Linux survey. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                    X