Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Steam/Source on Linux is really a last shot for Linux on the desktop and for gamers to prove to studios that AAA titles on Linux can be viable and a worthwhile effort.
    If Hats: the MMO can't save Linux nothing can!

Leave a comment:

• alcalde
    replied
    Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    As much I'm hoping this to happen, I still remain a bit sceptical about the native Steam client for linux. (hopefully, not for long anyway)
    This is going to be the best episode of Punked ever!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Do we know this is actually a desktop version of Steam, or is Valve perhaps looking to get into the mobile gaming market?

It's for the desktop: Ubuntu with the NVIDIA / AMD blobs.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Do we know this is actually a desktop version of Steam, or is Valve perhaps looking to get into the mobile gaming market?

Leave a comment:

• M1kkko
    replied
    As much I'm hoping this to happen, I still remain a bit sceptical about the native Steam client for linux. (hopefully, not for long anyway)

But here's to hope we won't find the disappointing "Steam client for Linux postponed indefinitely" article next week.

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
    I still don't understand the possibilities that will come out of that. The developers still have to release Linux versions.
    If and when a Steam client for Linux is released, a Linux version of the Source engine will probably be out at the same time.

This means at least the following games are likely to see their native Linux versions:

• Half-life 2
    • Counter-Strike: Source
    • Team Fortress 2
    • Portal, Portal 2

and probably many more.

I have been playing TF2 using Wine for quite some time and would be very excited to hear a native port being on the way.

Of course, there will also be other games than those made by Valve. Many games have already existing Linux ports that could be published through Steam as well. Not to mention Linux will gain visibility as a gaming platform and could attract even more gaming studios to release games for Linux.

Leave a comment:

• not.sure
    replied
    Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
    I still don't understand the possibilities that will come out of that. The developers still have to release Linux versions.
    I don't get it either. If it's just some client that transmits your credit card info and gives you a download link for a game (simplified) it's really.. yawn. Even if they manage to offer a couple of new linux versions of new or old games...

Leave a comment:

• Anarchy
    replied
    Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
    Steam on Linux:

Leave a comment:

• fabioamd87
    replied
    Steam on Linux:

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    You still need to schedule a Seattle/Bellevue get together. We have a Seattle Beer Wednesday chapter, although turnout might be light next week due to it being finals week in a certain game-related educational institution.
    What's the details on the Seattle Beer Wednesday chapter?

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    You still need to schedule a Seattle/Bellevue get together. We have a Seattle Beer Wednesday chapter, although turnout might be light next week due to it being finals week in a certain game-related educational institution.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X