Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeepDayze
    replied
    I don't mind the ads as long as they are well placed (preferably at top and bottom of the pages) and not very big. NO Flash ads, please...and in return I'll gladly add Phoronix to Adblock's whitelist

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    I completely agree with "adblockplususer".
    Using adblock+noscript to improve firefox speed at ratio 100x. This is not joke.
    I once had 150 browser tabs opened on athlon 2200 machine in firefox 2.0, startup time was around 30 seconds.
    Without adblock its over 15 minutes.

Please don?t call it scum as scum are Ads.
    Because of quality of information you give, I have Adblock enabled on your site, to allow Ad scum for your profit.
    I also gave a simple idea - to place a non-intrusive "please disable adblock to support this site" text underneath the actual ads - so it is visible if ads are removed. Please do not make it any blinking or similar, just plain normal text.
    This will encourage those who really appreciate your time to disable the ad blocking software in sane way.
    Going any other way will result in reduction of popularity.
    Please respect other people too. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• PreferLinux
    replied
    I don't click on ads anyway, so why shouldn't I use Ad Block Plus??? I'll keep using it while I can, and too bad for anyone that thinks they'll stop me except with a requirement to log in after paying.

Leave a comment:

• cruiseoveride
    replied
    I use adblock, noscript, flashblock and greasemonkey for flavour.

/Ad-less since 1969

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    +1

or a voluntary donation system via Paypal (if not already set up)

Ads should be small and unobtrusive plus being silent (no sound or flashing ads) plus being easy to close. Doesn't Phoronix work closely with the ad delivery companies in setting the content to be delivered as well as screening out malicious ads?
    You can already donate through PayPal and that's what I am doing, but it's a bit hidden tbh. Michael, set up a more visible donation site!

Leave a comment:

• FunkyRider
    replied
    Mark my words, HP is now a crappy company running by a crappy bitch CEO, it is going to fall very soon.

Leave a comment:

• susikala
    replied
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    I'd continue to do whatever the hell I damn well please with my computer, thank you very much. Thankfully the Internet is not (yet) a DRMed platform where content moguls can force unwanted advertisements down your throat; the freedom we have to decide what content we want to see (and waste our bandwidth on, because many of us are capped due to the same aforementioned content moguls) is in the hands of the users.

You'd think a site that promotes an operating system driven by free culture would understand the importance of allowing users the freedom to choose to opt out of shit like this. And frankly, even on a good day when you don't have full-screen HP ads, the remainder of the ads on this site are still extremely damn annoying.

How's that for a cuss-filled rant, Mike? Grow up, seriously.
    That. Seconded.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by adblockplususer View Post
    I am an Ad block Plus user and will never disable it for the sake of your site. The tracking that ad-serving companies do is unacceptable to me and to anyone who understands the ridiculous invasion of privacy involved.
    QUOTE.

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    I'm a premium user who has to visit the main page in order to click "Forums" so I can login every 15 minutes, so you're damn right I'm going to use AdBlock or other "scum" to block the ads that I paid to get you to take away in the first place.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about. By the time one of those ads loads over my dial up line I've already shut down the computer, left the house, and am half way to the office
    QUOTE (when I am connected with gprs)

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Is premium fixed yet?
    NO!

Leave a comment:

• Qaridarium
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about. By the time one of those ads loads over my dial up line I've already shut down the computer, left the house, and am half way to the office
    you are still using your 24kbps line?

i'm damn sure there are better solutions.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X