Visualizing Linux Performance Data In New Ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It's highlighting the worst and best, but due to an exhausted color pallete for that particular file, it ended up using the same color for the worst and best.
    Green or Blue for the best and Red for the worst?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Green or Blue for the best and Red for the worst?
      Right, it's usually green for best.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't actually understand what I'm looking at with the arc display. It's not immediately apparent what's being compared and which is better than which. Seems like a normal scatter plot would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          only 2 of them really problematic. the first and the second really optical the same.

only the third are a little different.
          Depends on the screen...

Comment

Improvements? Maybe when we will get labels on the axes. Which is not really an improvement. Just, uhm, scientific standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
              I don't actually understand what I'm looking at with the arc display. It's not immediately apparent what's being compared and which is better than which. Seems like a normal scatter plot would be better.
              Yeah, they look impressive at first glance, but then you realize it's not that easy to read, probably because they are upside down. Usually these things are more useful with the base at the bottom and not at the top left corner. Also, I have to point out once again that most of these graphs and tables don't make me want to look at them for more than 5 seconds, mainly because of outdated design and bad colors all around. When I have some spare time I might do some hacking on PTS to make it more pleasant to the eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                When I have some spare time I might do some hacking on PTS to make it more pleasant to the eyes.
                You're more than welcome to, thanks.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

in every graph i dont know what next steps are for...
                  ie:

and same here, GPU have 28 differend "towers" dunno what does it mean...

same with colors..
                  some1 fix it and i will buy you a beer

Comment

Originally posted by bigtoedsloth View Post
                    Are you familiar with Tufte? It would be well worth your time to read his book(s) if you haven't.
                    http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi
                    Too low ROI.

XD

Comment

The color scheme is the biggest problem of the graphs presentation.

I'm not a coder, but choosing a color in a HSL model (hue, saturation, lightness/luminance) could solve your problem.
                      For X different colors, divide the Hue scale by X to get the same difference in hue for each color.
                      I you have more than, say 8 colors, you can get 6 new by selecting a new value for Lightness. And you can again multiply those colors by varying the Saturation.

That way, you will avoid getting too similar colors.

Comment

Working...
                      X