Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Like To See Next From Phoronix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Phoronix and read it daily (with no adblock ) in spite of the obvious flaws - sensationalist headlines, too many intralinks, some benchmarking for benchmarking's sake and Valve/Steam on Linux (boy that cried wolf much?).

I would also like to see more "modern" games tested even if it excludes the open drivers, or maybe compile mesa with S3TC and floating point extension? And my number one wish is to see Blender 2.5 included in PTS and your articles, and how that runs with closed/open Nvidia GeForce/Quadro, AMD Radeon/FirePro and Intel, especially now with the crippled OpenGL performance on Fermi GeForce cards (and hopefully push Nvidia to fix their driver!)

Other than that, thanks for running this site! You really carved out a niche here that is very valuable, so if you can think about the obvious flaws above, I/we don't have to feel bad every time someone refers to this site as "Moronix", which is not (always) deserved.

Comment

Frankly, I would really like to see some new writers come on board. I appreciate your dedication Michael and I find Phoronix a valuable resource despite the painfulness of reading it, but please consider switching to a position where you find stories more than you author them. The writing on Phoronix is quite poor. I am sure there are many OK writers that would be willing to contribute at least occasionally to Phoronix if Michael assigned them stories.

Comment

Originally posted by cookiecaper View Post
        Frankly, I would really like to see some new writers come on board. I appreciate your dedication Michael and I find Phoronix a valuable resource despite the painfulness of reading it, but please consider switching to a position where you find stories more than you author them. The writing on Phoronix is quite poor. I am sure there are many OK writers that would be willing to contribute at least occasionally to Phoronix if Michael assigned them stories.
        Believe me, I want to get out of an editorial position asap.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Journalism.

Comment

Would like to see a mobile version of the site and forums.

I realize the extra work involved with design would probably make it a premium subscriber feature, but it would be a nice addition to promote it.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              TA-Spring benchmark profile to drop out the Quake3 engine off the news.
              You or anyone else is welcome to submit test profiles....
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

- A wine vs Windows with DirectX games (not only OpenGL) would be great.

- A conclusion paragraph in every tests !

Comment

I would love to read articles that go straight to the point instead of repeating, usually in the first paragraph, what previous and sometimes unrelated articles said. This is very serious. In general, I would like less verbose articles.

Regarding the charts/graphs. Units on both graphs' axis would be great. And colours that are easy to distinguish (not "dark green", "dark blue" and "dark red" on "bright white".) And not alternating between "lower is better" and "higher is better". And not changing the order of tested products between one graph and the other (not sure if you do all of that though, sorry if I'm wrong.)

I would also like a reduced emphasis on very recent and/or future hardware (i.e. "Ivy/Sandy bridge") and more on hardware that is in use by more people.

And maybe tests made on something else than Ubuntu, something lighter/faster. Not sure which one, but something built for i686 maybe.

Edit: and benchmarks of Windows games under Wine, yeah. Trackmania has a benchmark thing, maybe it's scriptable...

Edit 2: and less speculation (Steam, Linux 3.0...)
                  Last edited by stqn; 30 May 2011, 09:25 AM.

Comment

As I like the site very much, I also agree with the above mentioned opinions that phoronix needs more journalism, more writers, maybe some more activism about some of the things proclaimed here.
                    Personally I would like to see benchmarks with proprietary drivers and some more complex games like Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey and other native in Linux, as they will become more frequent, even if some of them can't be found today, maybe some activism on that too, as there is no logical reason for not selling these games today. Trine and Shadowgrounds are good examples for that.
                    The same idea with some of the more stable titles in top 25 platinum games in winehq, like those with platinum in the latest stable wine release.
                    And thank you for your commitment, enthusiasm and hard work over your openbenchmarking idea!

Comment

How about some benchmarks between equivalent (or as close to equivalent as they can get) CPU models of the Intel Atom, VIA Nano, and AMD Fusion?

Comment

Working...
                      X