Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top Phoronix Stories Of 2010

Phoronix: The Top Phoronix Stories Of 2010

With 2010 now coming to an end, what were the most popular Phoronix stories this year? For those curious about the most viewed articles and news posts on Phoronix in 2010, here's a list. Exclusive information on Valve's forthcoming Linux Steam client, photographs from my adventure to the Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster Site, and multi-OS benchmarks had dominated 2010.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm hopeful steam for linux will become a reality in 2011.

Comment

Steam for Linux.... does someone believe in it?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        Steam for Linux.... does someone believe in it?
        Steam for os x? Games on os x? Then why not on Linux? :P

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Steam for os x? Games on os x? Then why not on Linux? :P
          The ease of supporting one or two OS X targets for twice the marketshare of a dozen Linux distros?

Sorry, I don't mean to be so negative and would be the first one jumping for joy if Steam did come out for Linux (I own 45+ games on Steam, and many of those have native Linux versions, which I also have installed, like the HumbleIndieBundle 1 & 2). However, Valve's not been "coy" with the press on Linux support... they've basically refuted it outright at every chance.

I'm not saying that there's no possibility, but I think it's more of a "dabble-ment" at this point. We need to create a conglomeration of cross-platform open solutions to match DirectX (Think SDL with a lot more paid development) before we can consider Linux an attractive platform for all developers.

On a completely contradictory note: I was playing a Terminator shooter with my son at The Main Event the other day. I somehow managed to crash the machine by swiping my card at just the wrong time and saw it reboot... to grub... and then into Linux. My first shock was that it was running Linux. My second was that I was able to crash it. I explained it to my son as probably being a bug in the proprietary video driver.

Comment

Working...
          X