Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gtrawoger
    replied
    Do you figure these are mostly BOT generated spam messages? If so, I found this setup useful: http://www.johnboy.com/blog/spam-pro...php-and-jquery

The only downside I can see with that is that it needs Javascript enabled.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    I don't see how that changes anything. I mean a spammer can just use the clipboard to do copy/paste. That's very fast. Don't spammers usually don't edit their messages?
    I don't know what ways the spammers handle it, but by setting it to a one minute limit does nearly kill off all of the spam. Every morning I empty out a large moderation queue of spam.

It's still on my TODO list to provide support for proper message editing for non-spammers.

Leave a comment:

• plonoma
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Again, the current time limit of one minute is in place as it ended up cutting down significantly on spam. Still need to get to a better anti-spam solution though is on my TODO list.
    I don't see how that changes anything. I mean a spammer can just use the clipboard to do copy/paste. That's very fast. Don't spammers usually don't edit their messages?

Leave a comment:

• Mr James
    replied
    Originally posted by that guy View Post
    Or even completely remove the limit if the user has posted at least 20 comments. If a bot has already successfully spammed 20 times, they obviously don't care about edit limit.
    Listen to that guy

seriously, he speaks the truth.

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    if you going to keep an edit limit, then why not mandatory preview? but raise edit limit to at least 10 too

edit...
    crap could not edit this time is oveR#%#$%@...

Leave a comment:

• danboid
    replied
    Add me to the list of people miffed by the 1m limit. Seems a bit pointless even having an edit button as it stands.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Sadly enough, I know nothing about vbulletin, so I cannot really help...

Thanks for the update.

- Gilboa

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    I second the above.
    Both Fedoraforum and Ubuntuforum seem to use the same software as Phoronix and yet both of them doesn't seem to suffer from spammers, even though both enable unlimited editing.

... I wonder how they did it.
    Micheal, have you considered contacting them and asking their help?

- Gilboa
    It's just a matter of looking up the vBulletin anti-spam plug-ins. It's on my TODO list to do this but alas there's a ton of stuff on that list. If anyone who really hates the time limit wants to do the homework of looking up such plug-ins, you're welcome to.

Leave a comment:

• alexan
    replied
    Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    I second the above.
    Both Fedoraforum and Ubuntuforum seem to use the same software as Phoronix and yet both of them doesn't seem to suffer from spammers, even though both enable unlimited editing.

- Gilboa
    +1
    Big side of the open source concept is this: win in competition isn't about try to kick others out... but provide the best result with shared knowledges.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    I second the above.

- Gilboa

Leave a comment:

Working...
X