Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Here's A Preview Of The Ad-Free Phoronix

Phoronix: Well, Here's A Preview Of The Ad-Free Phoronix

This morning on Phoronix you may notice that there are no ads being served on Phoronix and you are able to view entire articles on a single page. Well, this is a preview of Phoronix Premium...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I subscribe to Premium, and am happy to have the ads gone and single page articles. However, I'm not happy with the hoops I have to jump through to get that.
    If premium would change so that logins last more then a day, it would be worth it, but as is I probably won't be renewing.

For those who don't know, the website does not handle logins. You have to visit the forums and go back to the website to properly login.

There are a few other options (special URLs to login, special feeds that take you to the forum instead of the article you want to read) but there is no decent way to click through a feed straight to premium if you haven't visited in the last day.

Comment

Oh, no adds I like it!
      But why don't you just keep it simple and add one text based google add? And another way might be to add a "donate to phoronix" link since i think that will even get you more money then those adds. I certainly never click on the adds becuase it's hardly ever something i'm interested in... And annoying flashing adds that say things like "we choose you" or "You're a potential winner" only encourage me to less frequently visit phoronix...

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
        Oh, no adds I like it!
        But why don't you just keep it simple and add one text based google add? And another way might be to add a "donate to phoronix" link since i think that will even get you more money then those adds. I certainly never click on the adds becuase it's hardly ever something i'm interested in... And annoying flashing adds that say things like "we choose you" or "You're a potential winner" only encourage me to less frequently visit phoronix...
        It's extremely unlikely that a donation button + a single Google ad would generate more revenues than the current ad structure... Even the current donation link brings in little revenue. To the point in which Phoronix.com would probably be shutdown within a month if going to solely Google ads.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The Phoronix forums are currently unusable, I was getting a blank page all the time until I blocked these two sites:
          *.collective-media.net*
          *.scorecardresearch.com*

I guess the first one caused the trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            Phoronix forums are currently unusable, I was getting a blank page all the time until I blocked these two sites:
            *.collective-media.net*
            *.scorecardresearch.com*

I guess the first one caused the trouble.
            Yeah, unfortunately, (it's the second one) but the issue should be fixed monetarily...
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              the issue should be fixed monetarily...
              Pun intended?

Comment

Originally posted by dargllun View Post
                Pun intended?
                Nope, bad typo when writing more emails to the ad company with more complaints...
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  It's extremely unlikely that a donation button + a single Google ad would generate more revenues than the current ad structure... Even the current donation link brings in little revenue. To the point in which Phoronix.com would probably be shutdown within a month if going to solely Google ads.
                  Are those annoying adds bring in that much money for you to keep the site running? I honestly can't imagine anyone clicking on it...

I even think i saw microsoft advertisements on phoronix once and i'm certainly not gonna clink on that!

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                    Are those annoying adds bring in that much money for you to keep the site running? I honestly can't imagine anyone clicking on it...

I even think i saw microsoft advertisements on phoronix once and i'm certainly not gonna clink on that!
                    For the tier-one ads, Phoronix Media is not paid by click at all but rather by impression.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X