What Would You Like To See Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    How about adding a few more mainstream distro's to your comparison tests instead of only fedora and a bunch of flavors of ubuntu, such as openSUSE, Sabayon and PCLinuxOS since they are among the more popular distro's? BSD also seems to get ignored.

That would be ideal, but at this point it simply isn't feisable with limited resources.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Resources such as? Or are you just saying you don't have the time?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Resources such as? Or are you just saying you don't have the time?
        Yes, it mostly comes down to time (and justifying that extra time whether it makes a positive impact with readers and sponsors) and lack of manpower.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I say we should still get rid of all the solaris crap, but i've been seeing less of it lately. That's good.

Comment

I enjoy seeing a lot of technical & in depth data - e.g with the latest story about the recently release amd docs, it summarises what's actually in the documentation & whatnot. Stories like that, news about what amd/nvidia/intel/sun/whoever are up to, and in detail, appeal to me.
            As a thought for something else - maybe a "user impressions" area or something for distros and that sort of thing, though I guess it would take some more moderating time.
            Just my 2c.

Comment

how about those resources

Michael, would it be an idea when phoronix members have the opportunity to bring their own reviews and test to the table? in a special member section for this purpose? I would love to get my hands on more compares and tests.

Comment

Linux How-To Videos - Would you be interested in videos of how to perform different operations within Linux?
                I think this is a horrible idea. I know we live in a very visual world and all, but video is just not the right medium to do this. Written information has no match in this area; its clarity, accuracy and precision can't be obtained by other means, alongside the inherent convenience of the format itself. Also, if they were to have any informational value, the scope covered would be very restricted to simple operations performed on a GUI--imagine having to pause and zoom the movie to check what icon to click or command to type--therefore challenging the idea of the need for a tutorial.

Where videos work is where you just want to show something, as opposed to explain it. Many Phoronix stories are related to graphical developments in unix world, and you definitely have room there to make something that works; who knows, show people the Phoronix test suite (which I bet not many have seen in action, myself included), games that are to arrive (or are thought to), new or redesigned applications (last week it was Gimp, for instance), new stuff in the drivers field, whatever.

As a suggestion, I'd propose to create some user editable content with the scope of setting up some documentation (oh, wait, that's called a wiki, I bet it's been already suggested). The idea is based on the fact that Phoronix forums are full of geeks that won't hesitate to install the latest code from git or wherever and start trying to overcome any problems encountered. A forum is not the right tool to store information in the long term, since bits are scattered all across the board and they are not organized in any meaningful way. There's definitely a lot of good information in this forum that deserve a better place than some threads here and there. As a side effect, and since new users would be potentially better informed about how to do something, the noise level in the forums could be lower, leaving more space for what they're best suited for: open discussion.

Comment

I wish a performance comparision between OpenSolaris 2008.11 and Linux!

Comment

Oh sorry I miss this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...way_2008&num=1

my request is now solved

Comment

Virtual Machines Comparison

Hi, there.

It would be great to see different virtual machines comparison running on different platforms (OSes) (features/performance).
                      // vmware, virtual pc, virtual box, parallels and so on

Thanx.

Comment

Working...
                      X