What Would You Like To See Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse-vs-Rump-vs-Native file system performances

I would like to see some file system benchmarks on fuse-vs-native (there were some on ZFS, but also others could be interesting).

A really interesting new technology is Rump, which provides NetBSD drivers in userspace on many different OSes, including Linux. fs-utils provides utilities to handle the file systems the Rump userland kernel provides.

Utilities for building rump kernels. Contribute to rumpkernel/buildrump.sh development by creating an account on GitHub.

File System Access Utilities in Userland. Contribute to rumpkernel/fs-utils development by creating an account on GitHub.

Binary packages of Rump and fs-utils for a variety of Linux distros can be found at:

Disclaimer: I did the OBS packaging so I might be biased.

Comment

Different JS benchmarks for Firefox 64/Firefox 32/Firefox 32 in 64bit Linux. I'm interested in Firefox from ftp.mozilla.org

Comment

32 bit vs 64 : HDD / SSD read-write speed

In the 32 bit vs 64 bit tests that get posted on Phoronix (example) please also include:

32 bit vs 64 bit operating systems, both installed on 64 bit hardware, which one is faster for reading / writing internal hard disk drive / solid state drive?

-as mostly that's the bottleneck in general computing.

Comment

Filesystem benchmark request

I've bought an SSD and looking for the right setup to use that has RAID and LVM capabilities. I'm thinking of BTRFS or MDRAID5+LVM+EXT4|XFS so what I'd like to see as a benchmark is something that is equal to BTRFS. Specifically:

BTRFS w/ RAID5
          MDRAID 5 + LVM + EXT4
          MDRAID 5 + LVM + XFS

I ask for this b/c I know that LVM can have up to a 30% impact to performance, so testing BRTFS directly against EXT4/XFS, etc. is not really a fair comparison to how things will perform in the real world once you start adding the capabilities that BTRFS brings using LVM/MDRAID. It would be nice to have a benchmark that tests the difference scenarios to get a system with these types of capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by sheldonl View Post
            I've bought an SSD and looking for the right setup to use that has RAID and LVM capabilities. I'm thinking of BTRFS or MDRAID5+LVM+EXT4|XFS so what I'd like to see as a benchmark is something that is equal to BTRFS. Specifically:

BTRFS w/ RAID5
            MDRAID 5 + LVM + EXT4
            MDRAID 5 + LVM + XFS

I ask for this b/c I know that LVM can have up to a 30% impact to performance, so testing BRTFS directly against EXT4/XFS, etc. is not really a fair comparison to how things will perform in the real world once you start adding the capabilities that BTRFS brings using LVM/MDRAID. It would be nice to have a benchmark that tests the difference scenarios to get a system with these types of capabilities.
            Unfortunately it's not too often I get review samples of HDD/SSDs, let alone in 3+ identical disk configurations, so such RAID5 configurations are unlikely to be tested.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Unfortunately it's not too often I get review samples of HDD/SSDs, let alone in 3+ identical disk configurations, so such RAID5 configurations are unlikely to be tested.
              As long as you have 3 HDD of the same RPM (need not be SSD's) you should be ok. Just create the same sized partition on each of them if they aren't the same size. It's not terribly scientific but it's good enough to give you an idea.

Comment

I should mention that I'm not going to do RAID5 on one SSD of course, but it gives me the opportunity/excuse to reinstall my whole system which has 6 other drives.

Comment

BTW Michael, you did do a ZFS vs EXT4+LVM on RAID benchmark back in April, do you not still have those disks?

Comment

Regarding Openbenchmarking.org

It would be nice if in the Phoronix test profiles page, next to each test a small column was displayed showing the platforms on which the test is supported.
                    It would be better if we could filter by platform, with support for multiple filters (say, to be able to select all tests that are supported on both Windows and Linux).

Here is a mockup showing what i am talking about :

Comment

Originally posted by nedR View Post
                      It would be nice if in the Phoronix test profiles page, next to each test a small column was displayed showing the platforms on which the test is supported. It would be better if we could filter by platform, with support for multiple filters (say, to be able to select all tests that are supported on both Windows and Linux). Here is a mockup showing what i am talking about :
                      There is an icon for each OS if you click on the test profile itself to view all the details... but yes, it might be wise adding it to that index page as well. When running PTS locally (e.g. phoronix-test-suite list-tests) by default it automatically shows only the supported tests relevant to that OS.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X