Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Linux How-To Videos
    - Would you be interested in videos of how to perform different operations within Linux? While anything could be covered here, some of the possibilities could include videos of how to install proprietary drivers on different distributions with how to optimize the driver, etc... Another possibility could be how to setup Apache, PHP, and MySQL. Videos would likely range from beginner to advanced in skill.

Linux Technology Podcasts - A weekly audio/video podcast covering Linux news, hardware, and much more.
    Phoronix is of great help to a Linux newbie such as myself and these proposed videos would certainly be helpful. However, would those videos be visible by all? In my own case it was some time before my video card ran properly and I'm still having problems with video plug-ins on my web browser. Perhaps those problems should first be addressed in text?

Probably my biggest difficulty in adapting to Linux is the obligatory use of text codes in a terminal window. This process might prove easier if I could find somewhere where these codes were explained and their usage taught.

Comment

Backups!

netsurf demands a indepth review of all the commercial software for backup and free alternatives. Especially since its heading back to university time for most people.

Wiki here shows a quick list of programs which support linux, windows and mac.

please make sure to mention things like:
      -:cost for 100gb for a years worth of storage
      -:limits on T/C such as only one pc or you have to buy the software then pay for storage.
      -:security policies ie how willing would they be to hand over your details to a seize warrant/general data storage and privacy
      -:headless/cronjob support and GUI support
      -:generally how good is the software

hope you get round to doing this as backup solutions which do incremental are a royal pain in the ass especially the encryption and signing side of things. loosing the key when trying to perform bare metal restore or just recover a single file without having to practically be the developer of it.

kind regards,
      netsurf

Comment

you could always do software reviews - i think comercial linux game reviews would be really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by netsurf View Post
          netsurf demands a indepth review of all the commercial software for backup and free alternatives. Especially since its heading back to university time for most people.

Wiki here shows a quick list of programs which support linux, windows and mac.

please make sure to mention things like:
          -:cost for 100gb for a years worth of storage
          -:limits on T/C such as only one pc or you have to buy the software then pay for storage.
          -:security policies ie how willing would they be to hand over your details to a seize warrant/general data storage and privacy
          -:headless/cronjob support and GUI support
          -:generally how good is the software

hope you get round to doing this as backup solutions which do incremental are a royal pain in the ass especially the encryption and signing side of things. loosing the key when trying to perform bare metal restore or just recover a single file without having to practically be the developer of it.

kind regards,
          netsurf
          "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it - Linus Torvalds"

Comment

Comercial software reviews might actually be a good idea, certainly something I would read regularly. unfortunatly we dont have wealth of that, at least that I know of.

Comment

there are definately enough to keep micheal busy for a little while at least

and (wishfull thinking mode) maybe it would bring some more awareness to the titles there are, increase sales, and make linux look like a more viable gameing market (end wishfull thinking)

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                Comercial software reviews might actually be a good idea, certainly something I would read regularly. unfortunatly we dont have wealth of that, at least that I know of.

The site reviews alot of hardware themselves though from what i can guestimate not that much of it is bought. If companies want their product to be known then it'd be a good idea to send time limited demos or something or a full sample.

One of the problems with linux is lack of proper backing of commercial software. Some might argue that it is a good thing but opensource tends to be hit and miss with alot of things.
                Gimp for example has what most people would need if you didnt mind completely relearning everything from photoshop. For actual professionals photoshop seems to be the way to go.
                Last check the closest thing to that is pixel. I dont know if any of you have heard of its infamousity but the one guy from solvakia has been writing this commercial application since around 2005 offering discount to early purchasers. Went "final" on april 2009 but was never released. So possibly snake oil. (clicky clicky) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_image_editor

This from the beta alone feels alot more comftable to use than the gimp but has the stability of an active volcano.

More commercial software should allow the increase in momentum of uptake and released programs. After all if there is hard evidence of demand and company success then many others will want to get in on the action. Hell, maybe Amd will stop releasing their "hurt me plenty" edition of drivers and open up some top notch 3d performance on the way

Comment

Originally posted by netsurf View Post
                  Hell, maybe Amd will stop releasing their "hurt me plenty" edition of drivers and open up some top notch 3d performance on the way
                  I'm sure they'd give better if they had any. It's not as if they weren't doing active development...

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    I'm sure they'd give better if they had any. It's not as if they weren't doing active development...
                    that being true AMD could do with some loyal fanbase at the moment. Used to be a AMD fan back in the days of the socket A's but lately they seem to be the asda smartprice of the graphics and cpu world. The linux community tend to be quite supportive to an extent providing it comes across as a genuine effort to provide decent support and or good reasonable support with opensourcing the drivers. I havent owned a ATI chipset for a while but from what i can tell skimming the forums the actual visible effort on the drivers is enough of a team to put a check in the box for linux drivers rather than the infamous coming soon (tm) that we tend to find for absolutely everything.

Comment

i want to see the option to view the forum with dark letters and bright background!

GIVE US BACK THIS OPTION!

Comment

Working...
                      X