X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheldonl
    replied
    Filesystem benchmark request

I've bought an SSD and looking for the right setup to use that has RAID and LVM capabilities. I'm thinking of BTRFS or MDRAID5+LVM+EXT4|XFS so what I'd like to see as a benchmark is something that is equal to BTRFS. Specifically:

BTRFS w/ RAID5
    MDRAID 5 + LVM + EXT4
    MDRAID 5 + LVM + XFS

I ask for this b/c I know that LVM can have up to a 30% impact to performance, so testing BRTFS directly against EXT4/XFS, etc. is not really a fair comparison to how things will perform in the real world once you start adding the capabilities that BTRFS brings using LVM/MDRAID. It would be nice to have a benchmark that tests the difference scenarios to get a system with these types of capabilities.

Leave a comment:

• onix
    replied
    32 bit vs 64 : HDD / SSD read-write speed

In the 32 bit vs 64 bit tests that get posted on Phoronix (example) please also include:

32 bit vs 64 bit operating systems, both installed on 64 bit hardware, which one is faster for reading / writing internal hard disk drive / solid state drive?

-as mostly that's the bottleneck in general computing.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Different JS benchmarks for Firefox 64/Firefox 32/Firefox 32 in 64bit Linux. I'm interested in Firefox from ftp.mozilla.org

Leave a comment:

• staalmannen
    replied
    Fuse-vs-Rump-vs-Native file system performances

I would like to see some file system benchmarks on fuse-vs-native (there were some on ZFS, but also others could be interesting).

A really interesting new technology is Rump, which provides NetBSD drivers in userspace on many different OSes, including Linux. fs-utils provides utilities to handle the file systems the Rump userland kernel provides.

Utilities for building rump kernels. Contribute to rumpkernel/buildrump.sh development by creating an account on GitHub.

File System Access Utilities in Userland. Contribute to rumpkernel/fs-utils development by creating an account on GitHub.

Binary packages of Rump and fs-utils for a variety of Linux distros can be found at:

Disclaimer: I did the OBS packaging so I might be biased.

Leave a comment:

• mroy559
    replied
    I'd like to notice compositing screen managers benchmarked anytime games tend to be benchmarked far too. I do definitely not enjoy games often yet I personally use the particular WM on a regular basis, plus the video individuals do influence the item a good deal, therefore a new WM benchmark could be additional strongly related me.

I know at least kwin carries a show_fps plugin as well as scripting assistance, then it mustn't be hard to help create a new benchmark for it. Not sure wether compiz yet others have got scripting assistance, or the method that you would produce a benchmark devoid of of which.

Leave a comment:

• staalmannen
    replied
    benchmark of musl libc-based system

One thing I would like to see is a benchmark of a musl libc based Linux system, like Sabotage linux (busybox/musl/Linux):

I have not had time/resources enough to build one myself but if someone could fire one up and run some tests vs a standard GNU/Linux system that would be cool.

Leave a comment:

• FutureSuture
    replied
    I can't seem to be able to edit my posts. If that is the case for everybody, I would like to see that on the forums next i.e. the ability to edit posts.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    not sure this is the right place but i didn't want to start another topic just for that.

would it be possible to be able to add quotes with a click or something when you are in reply mode from the topic review at the bottom of the page???

in the forums

Leave a comment:

• happahazza
    replied
    Linux Video Spider Diagram

1st post, so hello Phoronix and subscribers. I couldn't sit on the bench on this one, have been tinkering with linux (Ubuntu) for a couple of years, getting wireless internet up and running, getting an AMD driver to function adequately etc. and found it to be be a operating system with perhaps a deeper interest than it's competitors. Mostly by design and philosophy I would presume.

Anyhow, I find that after a couple of years I still have a great deal further to dig in finding uses for Linux and it's capabilities. With this in mind it would be nice of a refresher in some of this I have been through (simple example - mounting hard drives) After 2 years I tried to do this again and forgot everything I had done last time. Mostly I believe this is because using GEdit and Command Line is quite surprising just not interesting enough visually to remember!! :-). Therefore, even if perhaps after I had done it, I was to look through a video regarding the drive allocation naming, the fstab file and the filesystem it may have stuck in my mind more -- afresh -- perhaps?!. Therefore, with this then perhaps a video on the File system or Kernel we could have a visual Wiki on basic Linux setup, you could also add a little history of Linux itself in this way and perhaps some "grander" goals. I don't know how far this could go, but I also notice in the Synaptic Package Manager and Update Manager that a lot of what gets updated has very little description so in terms of the spiders "legs" this could have a lot of potentially creative information.

Leave a comment:

• jltyper
    replied
    Originally posted by Thue View Post
    It would be nice if phoronix would put more focus on power usage, especially idle power usage. Comparing with Windows could show where the Linux drivers need improvement. My desktop idles at 20W higher in Linux than in Windows (I suspect my Radeon graphics card is to blame).
    I wonder if a benchmark was ever done on the phoronix server itself. How much power are we using? Is it alot?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X