This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the new site looks great .
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      For the text in the box, it's automatically calculated how much text to display. However, I see that you must be using a different font in Epiphany. I'll see about improving the algorithm for how the box is displayed.

You sure seem to be Anti-Solaris... Why is that?
      Well, Phoronix really still is primarily a Linux gaming, and related hardware (GPU) site. Playing around with other nixes is great, and Phoronix. should encourage it with BSD and others, but wanting more cool stuff should'nt change the 'Mission Statement' of Phoronix. Phoronix. with its previous site darker design seemed really underground and badass, and totally catered to the hardware smart enthusiast Linux crowd. I left 'gaming' out of that description, as I'd hate to really say this site should be, or was/is ALL about gaming, but it still is geared towards a gaming mindset, and all the hardware tests which usually evaluate a piece of gaming hardware rely on gaming benchmarks
      more than most others sites, which IS cool...

It would really suck to see this Phoronix branch out into some crazy ass thing that clones all the news from other sites about subjects more broad, and increasingly unrelated to the oringinal Phoronix.

Linux-milita.net, I thought was hot shit. But it's dead. Linux-gamers.net gets updated once every week by some german guy, and tuxgames focuses on anything that even REMOTELY resembles a game.

With all the reduced amount of space for the actual CONTENT of this site, I fear we may be looking on a Toms Hardware that uses Linux to bench.

Slim the site down, whats the point of having the 'latest articles' thing on the left, when they're right in the middle of the site? If you removed that, you'll still have the left side bar, (which could still use trimming) but the fact that the news stories might usually take up more text, this would be a good starter imporvment. You SHOULD have left navigation, and maybe some stuff on the right as well, but if your just coping the news stories and other stuff on the left, it would think it would be hard to fill up both sides with navigation or other controls.

SO HOWS ABOUT ALL THE _ADS_ GO ON THE RIGHT?

Comment

Originally posted by byteframe View Post
        Well, Phoronix really still is primarily a Linux gaming, and related hardware (GPU) site. Playing around with other nixes is great, and Phoronix. should encourage it with BSD and others, but wanting more cool stuff should'nt change the 'Mission Statement' of Phoronix. Phoronix. with its previous site darker design seemed really underground and badass, and totally catered to the hardware smart enthusiast Linux crowd. I left 'gaming' out of that description, as I'd hate to really say this site should be, or was/is ALL about gaming, but it still is geared towards a gaming mindset, and all the hardware tests which usually evaluate a piece of gaming hardware rely on gaming benchmarks
        more than most others sites, which IS cool...

It would really suck to see this Phoronix branch out into some crazy ass thing that clones all the news from other sites about subjects more broad, and increasingly unrelated to the oringinal Phoronix.

Linux-milita.net, I thought was hot shit. But it's dead. Linux-gamers.net gets updated once every week by some german guy, and tuxgames focuses on anything that even REMOTELY resembles a game.

With all the reduced amount of space for the actual CONTENT of this site, I fear we may be looking on a Toms Hardware that uses Linux to bench.

Slim the site down, whats the point of having the 'latest articles' thing on the left, when they're right in the middle of the site? If you removed that, you'll still have the left side bar, (which could still use trimming) but the fact that the news stories might usually take up more text, this would be a good starter imporvment. You SHOULD have left navigation, and maybe some stuff on the right as well, but if your just coping the news stories and other stuff on the left, it would think it would be hard to fill up both sides with navigation or other controls.

SO HOWS ABOUT ALL THE _ADS_ GO ON THE RIGHT?
        byteframe,

I can assure you that we will not be forgetting our roots in Linux and gaming with our adoption of Solaris. We are simply trying to inform alternative OS users in regards to performance and compatibility whether it be Linux, Solaris, and BSD (shortly). We will continue to focus and improve upon what you refer to as our bad-ass content and delivering much more.

In regards to the advertisements, we attempt to make them as non-obtrusive and integrated as possible. I would love to make Phoronix ad-free, however, that is simply not possible as we likely wouldn't be able to generate enough off donations and I would be against requiring any subscriptions for access or anything of that nature.

Phoronix incurs expense on some hardware, domains, hosting, and related expenses. We are also preparing for further expansions -- such as additional staff and without giving too much away, we are looking at expanding into other forms of Internet media (anybody say Linux hardware video podcasts?). However, once I am done with some of my other ventures I am involved with, I will hopefully be able to reduce the ads on Phoronix.

We still focus all of our efforts on creating original content and not linking to other site for news or Linux happenings as we do it ourselves. You have my assurance that Phoronix will remain the most kick ass source for Linux hardware reviews and articles targeted for gamers and desktop enthusiasts.

Michael
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Love the new page Michael. For your Solaris part this is gonna be great, Is this with also the opensolaris.org site as well that you will be partnering with? or just the Solaris unix operating system?

Comment

Originally posted by smp-freak View Post
            Love the new page Michael. For your Solaris part this is gonna be great, Is this with also the opensolaris.org site as well that you will be partnering with? or just the Solaris unix operating system?
            Thanks for your kind words.

Phoronix has been discussing this with Sun Microsystems for about the past month or two. I am very interested in OpenSolaris but haven't yet had the time to talk with them.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Thanks for your kind words.

Phoronix has been discussing this with Sun Microsystems for about the past month or two. I am very interested in OpenSolaris but haven't yet had the time to talk with them.
              Are you going to be sponsering links to download patches, new builds, when they get released?

Is phoronix and Sun going to be making a Wiki for their operating system? or perhaps maybe a linux - Solaris / Solaris - Linux Migration page?

Dunno if I am asking questions here or helping you out with Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by smp-freak View Post
                Are you going to be sponsering links to download patches, new builds, when they get released?

Is phoronix and Sun going to be making a Wiki for their operating system? or perhaps maybe a linux - Solaris / Solaris - Linux Migration page?

Dunno if I am asking questions here or helping you out with Ideas
                Phoronix will be covering new major Solaris and related Solaris (BeleniX) releases along with other major software packages.

At this time no Wiki.

Phoronix will be covering JavaOne next month. More information will be finalized then.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Hey Michael,

The 1020 is much nicer. The scroll bar is still there, but at least I can see all the content without messing about. I am also glad there aren't blood splotches and cartridges all over the place...

As for the new interest in opensolaris, I think that's great. With solaris likely to go GPL, there's no good reason not to look at it. I suspect there will be a lot of mutual code-sharing between linux and solaris once they are both on GPLv3 (which is looking ever more likely for linux at least).

Keep up the great work!

Comment

Bumped the horizontal width from 1020px to 1010px, which should eliminate any bit of scrolling for 1024 x 768 users.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

For some reason I still have a little bit of a scrollbar, but it is plenty readable, so I am happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X