* if I do not use a blocker, I get usually three ads on the phoronix site, top left and right.
* All three use flash, and CPU use goes way up.
* They take ages to load and firefox blocks (goes gray when using Compiz) for sometimes over a minute.
* The ads are not in the slightest on target. Why is there no add for Amazon, or Thinkgeek or something geek or technology related. I facebook there is an option to click ads away and give a reason, i.e. not interested, irrelevant, obscene etc. They use this to give personalized somewhat relevant ads. If Phoronix is dependant on ads revenue, then find an ad company that is better in targeting the phoronix public. I block ads because they are simply too intrusive and make the site unusable for me sometimes, or worse.
* Some of the ads for some diet thing displayed bare-chested young men, leading people to think I was viewing some kind of gay site. Nothing wrong with people who are homosexual, but I don't want people to think I'm watching gay sites. These ads just make phoronix not save to watch at work anymore sometimes.
* The flash ads are so simple, that I don't see the point of using flash for it at all. They could simply have been pictures.