Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here. Russia.

Comment

How is it now? I've changed ad providers for that location and hope its changed until IDG people decide to get around back to work...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        How is it now? I've changed ad providers for that location and hope its changed until IDG people decide to get around back to work...
        This seems to have done the trick.

However I'll stick to AdBlock and donate money every now and then.

Comment

No worries, I've already been developing safeguards for if/when I get tired of AdBlock usage, I flip the switch and the test result graphs begin being served through Adobe Flash -- and for those without Flash -- through JavaScript and SVG... And being hosted off my primary ad providers network.
          If you flip that switch I'll stop visiting the site, it's pretty much that simple. I operate my ad-block with a whitelist. There are about 10 sites i regularly visit that are exempted (digg, arstechnica, anandtech, other sites I trust).

Phoronix would be on it but the ads are too damn annoying. Get rid of the flashing and especially the ones that cover article content and I'd whitelist, but as it is those "click to close" ads bother me way too much to support.

Google is the largest and richest ad provider on the web, and they became such with simple, unintrusive and targeted ads. You should learn something from that.

Comment

Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MartjeB View Post
              However, notice:
              1. It has a short time-out (waaay shorter than the forums)
              2. You have to login using the forums
              3. You can't lock it to your IP (so you *have* to login)
              Agree completely. I really should get around to making phoronix.com/forums one of my home pages instead of just phoronix.com, just so that I'm logged in automatically. I'd love a site-wide login that keeps me logged in, instead of just in the forums. I'd feel much better about the Premium subscription if that was available (which I need to get around to renewing soon).

Also, Opera 10.10 (at least on Solaris) seems to have an issue where the IntelliText ads aren't actually closeable when you click on their little "x" in the corner.

Lastly, the big "only shows once per day" ad popped up twice on me this morning when I first visited. I first loaded the main phoronix page, and then opened this news article in another tab. Both tabs got the big ad displayed. I do not remember if I had closed the big pop-up ad before opening the second tab.

Comment

For those non-Premium forum members. made more improvements this morning to ensure IntelliTxt/Kontera ads don't show up when browsing the main Phoronix site as long as you are logged into the forum account.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

@michael:
                  I realise that it is ad revenue that allows me to read all the fantastic, and sometimes less fantastic, articles and news items. I sometimes just click on them to support it a little.

But please get rid of those flashing, in your face ads!

Btw do I have to accept the coockies? I delete them when the session closes anyway...

Comment

No worries, I've already been developing safeguards for if/when I get tired of AdBlock usage, I flip the switch and the test result graphs begin being served through Adobe Flash -- and for those without Flash -- through JavaScript and SVG... And being hosted off my primary ad providers network.
                    Please, do -just- that. I'd love to see the reaction of the users here.

But fact is, you know and it's a given that the majority of people here are technical users who use adblock and/or other measures of blocking ads. I don't think I'd be far off to bet that it's not you're waiting until you get tired of AdBlock usage, you're actually afraid many people would stop visiting the website if you forced it on them in such a base method as you just described. You don't want to provoke such a reaction.

Any way you see it, a user has the right to filter any content he downloads -into- his computer. You could contraargue that a server admin has the right to filter any users he wishes, but you would agree with me it's impossible to do that.

It's a given that your financial model isn't working (you've cared to notice it yourself several times). Why not change to the wikipedia model, which is obviously working? I'd be the first to donate if you drop this premium content / ads crap.

Comment

I had an ad appear over the majority of the article. It appeared in a big square box with a "click to close" link on the bottom. The ad was for a service from some company called SAP.
                      I live in Minnesota (USA) in case that matters.

Comment

Working...
                      X