Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyborg16
    replied
    Interesting. I saw a pop saying "Close window" twice and "This ad will display only once", but with no advertisement. Probably due to konqueror's add-blocking. No probs...

Leave a comment:

• Artemis3
    replied
    I suggest you place the ads somewhere NOT on top of the text, oh and don't waste the chance to display a text ad, instead of the "click here to close" (which doesn't work with scripts disabled). Use that chance to show a text ad instead.

A little css tinkering takes care of the nuisance. Its not like anyone would make an adless phoronix addition in Stylish, would they?

Adblock and noscript is what made the web sane again, it is the result of trying to force animated ads on people.

Try and be gentle with your readers, and procure a solution that won't hurt you. Don't forget your target audience is smart enough to deal with this.

Leave a comment:

• not.sure
    replied
    Speaking of ads:

The only phoronix ads that I really find annoying are ANIMATED(!!) ones that come with the RSS feed. I'm considering piping feeds through a proxy to get rid of that annoyance specifically.

Leave a comment:

• SideshowBOFH
    replied
    I saw the ad before the announcement. I'll just "me too" that it makes the page un-readable if JavaScript is not enabled (such as in Thunderbird as a RSS reader, which defaults to JavaScript turned off). I would have had the same issue browsing the site with Firefox, as I run NoScript as well, due to the amount of malware that gets injected via banner ads and hacked web sites these days.

Good to see that the ad will only be displayed once per IP address, but I didn't know that when the ad first displayed for me.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by bugmenot2 View Post
    I *currently* run Ad-Block on this site for one reason, and one only: the quasi-hyperlinked words in articles which then pop-up a small-ish (flash) ad. With my habit of highlighting text as I read they prove extremely annoying, and I have not found the applicable thing to block so that I can white-list you. Just a FYI; and good luck with fund-raising.
    If you're logged into the forums, don't the Kontera ads go away when browsing the main site?

Leave a comment:

• TeoLinuX
    replied
    It's invasive, but I understand it.
    At least it's not one of those javascript ads hijacking the browser scroll.

Hope you make enough money for your business.
    Plus, I like SAP stuff

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot2
    replied
    I *currently* run Ad-Block on this site for one reason, and one only: the quasi-hyperlinked words in articles which then pop-up a small-ish (flash) ad. With my habit of highlighting text as I read they prove extremely annoying, and I have not found the applicable thing to block so that I can white-list you. Just a FYI; and good luck with fund-raising.

Leave a comment:

• karl
    replied
    Problem is ... premium subscribers are also affected by this (until they log in).
    Please consider my suggestion @ http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=12

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    it's impossible to close with noscript.
    Hmm, for now then to those that use noscript, refresh the page and it goes away.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    it's impossible to close with noscript.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X