Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's The End Of The Month, New Ad Testing

Phoronix: It's The End Of The Month, New Ad Testing

For those of you not Phoronix Premium subscribers, between now and the first of May, when you visit a new article or news posting you may be greeted by a landing/welcome overlay screen with an advertisement courtesy of SAP. While this may not be the most ideal for browsing, this ad will only ever appear once per IP address and can be easily closed using the link that says "Close Window", or you can also visit the advertiser. It's that simple and will not infer with any other browsing experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I understand. Hope this system will work out for you and bring in the always needed cash.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyHiRider View Post
      I understand. Hope this system will work out for you and bring in the always needed cash.
      Yeah, for running this ad for two days, alone it should bring in at least 20% of what is normally made in a month off of all the ads. So that means more articles and hardware reviews can come
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

it's impossible to close with noscript.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          it's impossible to close with noscript.
          Hmm, for now then to those that use noscript, refresh the page and it goes away.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Problem is ... premium subscribers are also affected by this (until they log in).
            Please consider my suggestion @ http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=12

Comment

I *currently* run Ad-Block on this site for one reason, and one only: the quasi-hyperlinked words in articles which then pop-up a small-ish (flash) ad. With my habit of highlighting text as I read they prove extremely annoying, and I have not found the applicable thing to block so that I can white-list you. Just a FYI; and good luck with fund-raising.

Comment

It's invasive, but I understand it.
                At least it's not one of those javascript ads hijacking the browser scroll.

Hope you make enough money for your business.
                Plus, I like SAP stuff

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot2 View Post
                  I *currently* run Ad-Block on this site for one reason, and one only: the quasi-hyperlinked words in articles which then pop-up a small-ish (flash) ad. With my habit of highlighting text as I read they prove extremely annoying, and I have not found the applicable thing to block so that I can white-list you. Just a FYI; and good luck with fund-raising.
                  If you're logged into the forums, don't the Kontera ads go away when browsing the main site?
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

I saw the ad before the announcement. I'll just "me too" that it makes the page un-readable if JavaScript is not enabled (such as in Thunderbird as a RSS reader, which defaults to JavaScript turned off). I would have had the same issue browsing the site with Firefox, as I run NoScript as well, due to the amount of malware that gets injected via banner ads and hacked web sites these days.

Good to see that the ad will only be displayed once per IP address, but I didn't know that when the ad first displayed for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X