Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Shall We Benchmark Next? Let Us Know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd suggest to benchmark the 4500MHD with the latest drivers and compare linux vs xp results.
    Many people have this vga on their laptop, and has it can't play the newest games anyway, it would be interesting to see which platform (linux or xp) will offer the better performance, and to evaluate how much effort in Intel putting to develop linux drivers.

Comment

Nvidia vs ATI proprietary drivers on both Linux and Windows.

Comment

I would strongly suggest an ongoing tracing of ClangBSD vs FreeBSD (that is, LLVM/Clang vs GCC) with an as identical code base as possible. Hot off the presses: ClangBSD is self-hosting!

It would be really interesting to see which parts that would generate better binaries from the respective compiler.

Comment

Looks like a Wine tracker shall be coming in the near future now that we have the backing of a few key Wine contributors.

Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Looks like a Wine tracker shall be coming in the near future now that we have the backing of a few key Wine contributors.

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine...il/083230.html
            Now that is really awesome Michael! Regressions are surely one of Wine's biggest problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine...il/083230.html
              It may launch as soon as next week now as it's been requested to possibly present it at the Ubuntu Developer Summit.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Compilers

Since there is many Linux programmers reading this site, it would be wonderful to have compile test, with different compilers, different processors configurations. For example AMD(I am a fanboy, yes) Athlon X2-4 with different size of caches, Phenoms, intels..etc.
                Compilers may be, GCC, Java, icc,..etc.
                This way, one can buy the best processor to build ours wonderful "kid".

Comment

Will you benchmark the new phenom x6 against an intel i7 possibly the intel x6 model?

Comment

Benchmark tracking of the different versions of the unreleased steam valve linux clients!

scnr

Comment

How come there's not more/any tests or comparisons of printers and wifi cards, both desktop and usb?

Speaking of printers, I notice few benchmarks so maybe these aren't acquired as easily?

My reasoning behind suggesting this is that each may have different issues regarding compatibility. I know someone will think of the OpenPrinting website and suggest that for reference but I suggest in response, that it may be a bit behind and needs updating. In addition, not all mainstream and locally available hardware is listed. The most recent hardware that seems to be really pushed by manufacturers in the stores are not always listed.

I noticed that HP has HPLIP and other companies include .rpm and .deb packages for the drivers but a test or comparison of various printers might illustrate whether the product: A) WORKS - and how well and B) how it works related to LINUX - is it OOTB or does it require more manual processes or installs... is it a smooth install or does it require more manual commands etc.?

Other hardware that could be tested/compared include wireless n cards and the current status regarding Linux compatibility and overall operation experiences.

Maybe these hardware components don't provoke enough interest or attract enough readers but just some suggestions.

I'd like to see more up-to-date benchmarks on current graphics cards, too, such as ATI HD 5xxx cards as compared to Windoze 7 and maybe an inclusion of a HD 4xxx card for reference (again, compared to Windows 7). Of course, this can be done in Ubuntu 10.04...why not...

Comment

Working...
                      X