Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Shall We Benchmark Next? Let Us Know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EarthMind
    replied
    Extensive Opensource ATI vs closed source and ATI vs Nvidia benchmarks on a monthly/bi-monthly basis .

Leave a comment:

• atanas
    replied
    As mobile Linux based platforms continue to rise sharply in popularity, I think it would be really useful to benchmark mobile OS-es like Maemo (MeeGo), Android, WebOS and maybe others.

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    Selinux

I don't think your test suite includes tools to pin test a SELINUX installation. But that would be a nice test to see if all the hype lives up to an actual reputable authority on well testing.

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    Please test the validity of the statement that compiling your kernel for your architecture does improve performance. My whole family can see the difference. But the majority can't seem to notice it or they aren't admitting to it.

Also test with High-Mem disabled for systems under 1 Gigabyte of memory.
    And again test it with it enabled.

Leave a comment:

• dacresbu
    replied
    'Linux and other cluster benchmarks. Like MPI, (i dont see possible performance variance of openMP sense they use OS threads anyway) HPLinpack could be a start. you could benchmark networking equipment like that. or use Intel MPI Benchmark. You could make your own mpi benchmark tests to compare MPI implementation. Otherwise, ya compare bsd's new filesystems like Hammer and ZFS and such. Compare ZFS under bsd and [open]solaris and compare those to BTRFS and TuxFS. if you can Compare redhat's GFS and Orical's ClusterFS.

Leave a comment:

• max0x7ba
    replied
    more hardcore benchmarks

It would be very interesting if you guys along with file system benchmarks, benchmarked core features of operating systems, such as scheduler latencies and responsivness, tcp/udp network stack latencies and throughput and such.

Leave a comment:

• MartjeB
    replied
    Webkit, gecko and presto?

Leave a comment:

• dajomu
    replied
    *buntus

Would like to see a benchmark between the different *buntus.

Would also like to see a new benchmark of "Power & Memory Usage Of GNOME, KDE, LXDE & Xfce" using vanilla installation. Arch Linux would be a good distro to use.

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
    Wine is an interesting idea, I agree. +1

I also like the idea of monitoring the performance of some non-Ubuntu distribution, especially one which is specifically designed to be a rolling release (Arch or Gentoo or even Debian Sid), with latest STABLE software, not the way Ubuntu fluctuates between buggy new untested software and old and therefore slow software.

Arch would be awesome Except there is the slight problem that sometimes it needs user input and configuration to upgrade or continue running after an upgrade. I don't know anything about Gentoo, but I think this could be a good option. Sid would be too much like Ubuntu.

These are my thoughts
    I am told that Gentoo has fewer problems than Arch in that regard. Seeing a Gentoo Linux performance tracker would be awesome, but I suggest that there be two trackers. One for the stable tree and one for the testing tree. I explained the difference between the two (and why there should be two) in my previous post.

Leave a comment:

• a7ilcy
    replied
    I can't suggest about what to review next, but there is one aspect that could help linux users better. PTS is already strong (or rather the de facto tool) with the benchmark suites, how about having a sub-section for overclocking guides/examples/reviews/tips/information. A sort of linux overclocking club, perhaps ? because if you see around the net, you won't find many official linux overclockers club or something along that line. Even if this means just adding a section in the forums, that should also be useful, shouldn't it ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X