Preferred embedded video for Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred embedded video for Phoronix

What format would you prefer Phoronix use to embed videos in articles?
    The most popular Linux browsers (I think), are Firefox and Opera, both of which now support OGG Theora with <video>.
    HTML5 <video> with the OGG Theora codec
    78.79%
    Flash
    15.15%
    Something else (discussed below)
    6.06%

Open standards are always good for things like this. Hopefully widespread adoption leads to more/faster Theora development. I can always hope.

Comment

Flash is fine for the embed (there's no real need to alienate people who visit the site on closed-source systems with flash as the only video option), but it'd be awesome to have an open standard as a downloadable option for videos. I might watch one or two then

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
        Flash is fine for the embed (there's no real need to alienate people who visit the site on closed-source systems with flash as the only video option), but it'd be awesome to have an open standard as a downloadable option for videos. I might watch one or two then
        If a site with the title Linux reviews doesn't support the open standard videos then what site would do? Also, HTML5 <video> is supported by firefox in windows/MacosX as well, so everone will be able to watch them.
        Also, with a trick like the one in http://el.www.mozilla.com/el/firefox/3.5.2/whatsnew/ the video doesn't catch a lot of room in the page and looks neat as well
        Last edited by Apopas; 01 September 2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          If a site with the title Linux reviews doesn't support the open standard videos then what site would do? Also, HTML5 <video> is supported by firefox in windows/MacosX as well, so everone will be able to watch them.
          Also, with a trick like the one in http://el.www.mozilla.com/el/firefox/3.5.2/whatsnew/ the video doesn't catch a lot of room in the page and looks neat as well
          Well potential linux switchers from windows may not be able to watch them if they are IE users. Just food for thought. We actually were just discussing this issue in the openSUSE project mailing lists. When the whole make "KDE as default" hit the fan, a suggestion was made to have the video showing the features of both desktops. Seeing that we want to show the features of both desktops to a person who is not familiar with them there is a good chance that they are using IE which of course does not support HTML 5 tags, thus it was decided that flash would be the best alternative to serve what a majority of people would already have installed on their system.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Well potential linux switchers from windows may not be able to watch them if they are IE users. Just food for thought. We actually were just discussing this issue in the openSUSE project mailing lists. When the whole make "KDE as default" hit the fan, a suggestion was made to have the video showing the features of both desktops. Seeing that we want to show the features of both desktops to a person who is not familiar with them there is a good chance that they are using IE which of course does not support HTML 5 tags, thus it was decided that flash would be the best alternative to serve what a majority of people would already have installed on their system.
            That's acceptable since over 40% of the users use IE-6.x. In a portal I'm making as well with news as embedded videos, we decided with my associates that flash/mp4 is the only choice till ogg/theora is officially supported in flash. But here in Phoronix, videos are just a small part of few articles. Someone who reads the articles/benchmarks is not the casual user who just reads news. So if he uses IE he could just get a phrase <<plz use Firefox/Opera>> on the videos' window that he can not play, or he can just get a link to download it. If we can not persuade give to switch form IE to Firefox then he wouldn't find Linux benchmarks interesting at all.
            My two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              That's acceptable since over 40% of the users use IE-6.x. In a portal I'm making as well with news as embedded videos, we decided with my associates that flash/mp4 is the only choice till ogg/theora is officially supported in flash. But here in Phoronix, videos are just a small part of few articles. Someone who reads the articles/benchmarks is not the casual user who just reads news. So if he uses IE he could just get a phrase <<plz use Firefox/Opera>> on the videos' window that he can not play, or he can just get a link to download it. If we can not persuade give to switch form IE to Firefox then he wouldn't find Linux benchmarks interesting at all.
              My two cents.

Oh I agree, it's all about the target audience. It still however wouldn't hurt to have both options.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Oh I agree, it's all about the target audience. It still however wouldn't hurt to have both options.
                Yeah, dailymotion uses both options as well.

Comment

I recommend html5 theora with java applet fallback. I think a silverlight fallback is possible too, but that would probably be too much hassle.

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2009/02...ml5-video.html

I hope that flash adds support for theora+vorbis in a future version or just get doomed.
                  May be someone will write a reasonably fast theora player in flash vm, so a smooth transition would be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by cician View Post
                    I recommend html5 theora with java applet fallback. I think a silverlight fallback is possible too, but that would probably be too much hassle.

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2009/02...ml5-video.html

I hope that flash adds support for theora+vorbis in a future version or just get doomed.
                    May be someone will write a reasonably fast theora player in flash vm, so a smooth transition would be possible.

Since there is support for ogg, maybe we'll see and theora in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                    X