No announcement yet.

Preferred embedded video for Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

html would be great, but flash is not wrong either. Real on the other hand is a pretty sick idea.

Comment

I don't think anyone is saying ONLY one format. However, OGG/Theora as the preferred format makes the most sense. It's the only one that has the potential to work on all platforms. I'm thinking specifically of the new ARM netbooks, as well as thing such as the PS3 (while a dead subject now) that never had a working flash solution.

Plus who can honestly say the flash player on Linux is good? It works ok, but its shit.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Who gives a shit about IE? This is a Linux forum.
        Thats exactly my point. So what's the problem with ogg/theora? It works out of the box in Firefox and other browsers without the need of plugins and bullshits.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          Thats exactly my point. So what's the problem with ogg/theora? It works out of the box in Firefox and other browsers without the need of plugins and bullshits.
          As I mentioned, it doesn't work "everywhere". Firefox needs ALSA for HTML5 video. I don't have ALSA. Therefore, it doesn't work. Flash does though.

Comment

...and here *flash* does not work, because <another special configuration>. Or I don't want to use flash, because it is not free. Or I don't want to use it, because it's illigal here. Or because I don't want to sign the license. This should be my decision! It's not fair to force users of a linux site to use flash.

So at least provide both possibilities. Automatically HTML5 if supported, if not youtube if you like. And for those like RealNC who would see the ogg theora video, but cannot hear anything (did you already file a bug report?) a link to the youtube page.
            Problem solved and everyone is happy.

I think michael only want the videos to get high "views" rate on youtube. Instead of happy users.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              As I mentioned, it doesn't work "everywhere". Firefox needs ALSA for HTML5 video. I don't have ALSA. Therefore, it doesn't work. Flash does though.
              And I don't have flash.

Comment

I'd prefer no embedding, and a download link.

However, if there must be some, Theora all the way. Just don't forget the link

Comment

HTML5 <video> tag, of course. We're on an "enlightened" website here

Comment

Working...
                  X