X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
    Michael, apparently Snow Leopard includes some hardware acceleration for H264 videos, so if you could get some graphs showing processor usage between 10.5 and 10.6 that would be great.
    Is it exposed through the CoreVideo interface and not anything specific to QuickTime X? If so, it's already covered in the tests, as there is video-cpu-usage monitoring already in there with the CoreVideo output adapter through MPlayer.

Leave a comment:

• dashcloud
    replied
    Try to test CPU usage for HD video

Michael, apparently Snow Leopard includes some hardware acceleration for H264 videos, so if you could get some graphs showing processor usage between 10.5 and 10.6 that would be great.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
    Well, good for them, because Snow Leopard doesn't support PowerPC either.
    I was naturally referring to classic Mac's there. Modern Mac's should be pretty much the same as x86 except that they apparently have some validation hardware that allows them to run OSX as is. (or so I've been told)
    Any modern Linux or Windows should run fine on them.

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    False claim. Ubuntu discourages people from buying Macs because they don't want to support PowerPC.
    Well, good for them, because Snow Leopard doesn't support PowerPC either.

Very interested in this benchmark as I am upgrading my Mac to Snow Leopard this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• vtorri
    replied
    if different linux distributions will be tested, it would be interesting to test something else than the major ones, like Arch Linux, for example.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by stan View Post
    Ubuntu's official position is to discourage people from buying Macs because of the nightmare it is to support them.
    False claim. Ubuntu discourages people from buying Macs because they don't want to support PowerPC.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by stan View Post
    Compared to a PC, Apples are more proprietary and harder to run Linux on. The whole HFS+ based disk partitioning, firmware that can only be updated from their proprietary OS 9 (yes, you have to reinstall OS 9 on some powerPC iMACs if you want to update the firmware, even if you already have OS X running), video camera firmware, DRM-ed EFI BIOS, you name it.

Ubuntu's official position is to discourage people from buying Macs because of the nightmare it is to support them.
    OS 9 to upgrade firmware you are talking about REALLY old Macs. G3-G4 days which are systems that originally came with OS 9. Any system that came with OS X you can update the openfirmware from OS X (or in the case of intel macs, it can be done completely without a OS installed just a firmware CD.) Intel macs that have a isight are UVC class devices and as such use the linux-uvc module unlike the crap load of webcams out there that are still not uvc class. The DRM-ed EFI BIOS is complete bullshit of course. DRM is in the OS not the firmware.

I would really like to see this "Ubunutu official position" as it seems if that is what you are basing your idea's on it's either extremely outdated or fabricated bullshit.

Lets not forget until relatively recently you had to drop to a much older OS to update a bloody BIOS in a PC. DOS.

Leave a comment:

• stan
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    "Proprietary hardware"? All hardware is proprietary. I've still to see the an "open source" PC.
    Compared to a PC, Apples are more proprietary and harder to run Linux on. The whole HFS+ based disk partitioning, firmware that can only be updated from their proprietary OS 9 (yes, you have to reinstall OS 9 on some powerPC iMACs if you want to update the firmware, even if you already have OS X running), video camera firmware, DRM-ed EFI BIOS, you name it.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I doubt that stan is running that one.
    Always the pessimist.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I doubt that stan is running that one.

Leave a comment:

Working...