No announcement yet.

Phoronix.com Turns 19 Years Old For Covering Linux Hardware, Open-Source News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix.com Turns 19 Years Old For Covering Linux Hardware, Open-Source News

Phoronix: Phoronix.com Turns 19 Years Old For Covering Linux Hardware, Open-Source News

Today marks nineteen years since I started Phoronix.com for covering the Linux hardware space. It's been a wild ride from the days of 56K modems, graphics driver pains, and having to use NDISWrapper for WiFi device driver support on Linux, among many other Linux hardware pains in the early days. These days the open-source GPU driver scene is far better off, Linux hardware support overall is a great, companies continue investing massively into Linux/open-source thanks to the success in the server space over the past two decades, and the Steam Deck has proven to be one of the most interesting Linux-powered consumer devices in recent years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Typos

"Linux hardware support overall is a great" (remove a)

p.s. Wishing you a happy 19th.

Comment

just looking up the history at that time, we had fedora core 2 recently released, ubuntu didn't exist, debian was on woody, gnome 2.6, gimp 2.0 just released, linux kernel was at version 2.6.6 (Zonked Quokka), and xorg came out with their first release to replace xfree86, and the steam survey had linux at the same percent it is at now (probably).

congrats sir, that's a lot of history you've covered for us.

Comment

Time flies when you are having fun
        Thanks for all your hard work and dedication over the years!

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
          Michael

Typos

"Linux hardware support overall is a great" (remove a)
          The whole title is a big glaring typo.

"Phoronix turns 19 years old for covering Linux hardware" means that covering Linux hardware is the physical cause for Phoronix turning 19 years old. That statement does not make any god damn sense. Time goes by on its own, there is no driving cause for it.

Comment

Thank you for your hard work Michael. I already have a lifetime premium, but maybe I should give some tips now.

Comment

Several years ago, probably on the better side of a decade if not more by now, there used to be an open source news site that I loved to frequent. I forget the name of it, but it shut down. Ever since then, I've been using Phoronix as my primary fix.

I refuse to get my news from social media like reddit, I can't stand that cult-like hivemind, and if the current trend is anything to go by, society in general is starting to get sick of it, too. That's why I rely on curated news outlets like Phoronix for a proper news feed. I'd be pretty lost without it, and the other various news feeds for specific things like "This Week In Rust" and whatnot.

Comment

For 19 more great years of excellent linux coverage. Your dedication to this niche topic, plagued with ad blocking and small audience is inspiring. Your work is unparalleled by others, so thank you for that

Comment

I love Phoronix.

Comment

Thanks Michael for all the hard work! Long time visitor, and I continue to appreciate your selection of topics and coverage for what's going on in Linux, OSS and adjacent topics

Comment

Working...
                    X