Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Last Call For The Phoronix 18th Birthday Premium Special

Phoronix: It's Last Call For The Phoronix 18th Birthday Premium Special

This week Phoronix.com turned 18 years old! In marking that milestone, a Phoronix Premium special was offered for enjoying the site ad-free, multi-page articles on a single page, and other benefits while supporting the site for hoping to help provide a successful 19th year of Phoronix Linux hardware testing and news operations. If you want to participate, that special ends this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hurry up guys, she's legal

Comment

Hi Michael,

best wishes for the 18th birthday of phoronix and thanks for your work and passion!

I am on Linux since about 1998 starting with Suse Linux 5.0, when I remember correctly. I discovered phoronix about 4 years ago - sadly I did not know about this gem of a website earlier.

If you want to have better income from ads and donations or premium members, I guess you must make that as convenient as possible.
      You should consider to bring a footer or header on every article, that gives an easy "one click solution" to give a donation or become premium member. And perhaps also tell the people to turn off the adblocker. That should be shown for every non-premium member.

I think raising attention is important, because most of the people will just not think over it otherwise. That may be a bit frustrating, as it also shows that at least some people do not realize how much work you do - but that is how the humans are.

So try to get more attention on it, without getting annoying and perhaps that helps.
      I do not want to call it microtransactions, but it is what may help. Giving a small amount of money for an article, the author had lots of work with.
      Perhaps it makes only sense in bigger articles or some of your performance comparisions. But maybe it is worth a try!
      But it is really important, that it is convenient and easy to do.

Best regards from Germany!

obri

Comment

I bit the bullet a while ago and signed up for the 'lifetime' membership. I couldn't be happier with it. Good journalism costs money, and Michael has been in the trenches of this geeky niche for years, doing the testing and reporting so we don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
          I bit the bullet a while ago and signed up for the 'lifetime' membership. I couldn't be happier with it. Good journalism costs money, and Michael has been in the trenches of this geeky niche for years, doing the testing and reporting so we don't have to.
          I feel horrible that I've been here for as long as I have and haven't signed up for anything. It really doesn't help that it seems like every single time one of theses specials occurs something horrible happens in my life that causes me to be in a position where even the $26.99 to preorder Stray is too much to spend.

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
            Hi Michael,

best wishes for the 18th birthday of phoronix and thanks for your work and passion!

I am on Linux since about 1998 starting with Suse Linux 5.0, when I remember correctly. I discovered phoronix about 4 years ago - sadly I did not know about this gem of a website earlier.

If you want to have better income from ads and donations or premium members, I guess you must make that as convenient as possible.
            You should consider to bring a footer or header on every article, that gives an easy "one click solution" to give a donation or become premium member. And perhaps also tell the people to turn off the adblocker. That should be shown for every non-premium member.

I think raising attention is important, because most of the people will just not think over it otherwise. That may be a bit frustrating, as it also shows that at least some people do not realize how much work you do - but that is how the humans are.

So try to get more attention on it, without getting annoying and perhaps that helps.
            I do not want to call it microtransactions, but it is what may help. Giving a small amount of money for an article, the author had lots of work with.
            Perhaps it makes only sense in bigger articles or some of your performance comparisions. But maybe it is worth a try!
            But it is really important, that it is convenient and easy to do.

Best regards from Germany!

obri
            Debian 1999. A few years later Windows XP caused me to quit dual booting and go Linux full time. Windows 10 and games like MSFS 2020 brought me back to dual booting. Windows 11 is making me hope those games like MSFS 2020 will eventually work on Linux with Proton.

I stumbled across Phoronix years ago when Fark.com linked a Phoronix article.

For ad blocking I switched to AdNauseam. Blocks ads from view while clicking on them. Based on how it calculates, I've generated $27K in ad revenue since February and most of that has gone towards Phoronix and its advertisers..I'd guess $18K or so using their stats and numbers. How accurate that is and how much actually gets to Michael, I don't know, but I hope it at least has a positive impact in regards to Phoronix getting ad revenue.

Michael -- Does one person switching from an ad blocker to a blocker/clicker even make a noticeable impact? For my measure it would be "Has there been an uptick since February?" I'm just curious if AdNauseam even works and if it is something that I can ethically recommend.
            Last edited by skeevy420; 10 June 2022, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I feel horrible that I've been here for as long as I have and haven't signed up for anything. It really doesn't help that it seems like every single time one of theses specials occurs something horrible happens in my life that causes me to be in a position where even the $26.99 to preorder Stray is too much to spend.
              Dude, if you're really this broke then get that game from a site where you can try it out fully before deciding to eventually buy it...

Michael

I think it would be quite beneficial for you if that AdNauseam really performs as promised.

If you could confirm that it actually works, then I would certainly install it on my end, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Dude, if you're really this broke then get that game from a site where you can try it out fully before deciding to eventually buy it...

Michael

I think it would be quite beneficial for you if that AdNauseam really performs as promised.

If you could confirm that it actually works, then I would certainly install it on my end, too!
                Without going into too many details, you just can't plan on your mom being hospitalized three times in a month, twice by ambulance, and then having to buy her new medications and equipment after the last visit. Unexpected shit like that hits the pocket hard. If you're not an American you might not understand the costs of American healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Without going into too many details, you just can't plan on your mom being hospitalized three times in a month, twice by ambulance, and then having to buy her new medications and equipment after the last visit. Unexpected shit like that hits the pocket hard. If you're not an American you might not understand the costs of American healthcare.
                  I am truly sorry to hear that!

Yes, I'm not American (& also not European, though I do live here).

And having a social health-care system is among the greatest advancements for humankind, IMHO.

That's why I honestly pity those Americans who would gladly pay to have such a system in place, which would include You aswell, I figure.

Hopefully one day that might happen over on your side, but I guess the resistance is just still too strong, for now...

Comment

Working...
                  X