Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read Phoronix Without Advertisements

Phoronix: Read Phoronix Without Advertisements

If you would like to read our thousands of news posts and articles at Phoronix without any advertisements on the page, or to be able to view multi-page articles on a single page, we would recommend you join Phoronix Premium. For as low as $2.50 USD per month you can have these exclusive benefits and the funds generated are vital to the continued existence of Phoronix.com...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting, I never knew there are ads on Phoronix, this is what happens when one uses Adblock...

Comment

Yeah, that's a bit of a sore point here, it's started a few flame wars . I joined after hanging around here for a while to support the site, partially for the single-page articles, but I use and enjoy Adblock (and Lynx, for that matter). HTML was never designed to force a client app to present a page as the designer thought it should look (specifically when you get into problems like accessibility).

But anyway, welcome to the forums!

Comment

I disable adblock on Phoronix and many other websites I wish to support. I also click ad links and buy hardware related to your articles.

Comment

Originally posted by borsook View Post
          Interesting, I never knew there are ads on Phoronix, this is what happens when one uses Adblock...
          2nd that. I dont think i've ever used Firefox without adblock. Recently I've started using noscript too. Very useful for those sites that try to detect adblockers.

Originally posted by GreatWalrus View Post
          I disable adblock on Phoronix and many other websites I wish to support. I also click ad links and buy hardware related to your articles.
          That has got to be the gayest thing I've ever heard.

Comment

cruiseoveride is a trollfag

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
            That has got to be the gayest thing I've ever heard.
            Have fun when all of the sites you visit go out of business because everyone is using adblock. I agree, some sites do deserve the treatment of Adblock. Sites like Phoronix do not.

You, sir, are a homophobe and a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWalrus View Post
              Have fun when all of the sites you visit go out of business because everyone is using adblock. I agree, some sites do deserve the treatment of Adblock. Sites like Phoronix do not.

You, sir, are a homophobe and a troll.
              Correct on both accounts

Supporting a website is one thing, viewing advertising is another. Being forced to view advertising has become the internet norm. Expecting users to view the forced advertising and thus support the website is definitely being over optimistic.

What if Firefox had Adblock built in? Does that mean google goes from a billion dollar company to a few thousands?

Websites provide users with a service. Users use the services they want.

Advertising forces unwanted content onto a user, sometimes even detracting from the service provided. Users still have the right to view what they want to view, regardless of however it may affect the content provider.

Advertising is a privilege, not a right. Installing whatever software you want on your personal computer is a right, not a privilege.

Comment

Advertising is a privilege, not a right. Installing whatever software you want on your personal computer is a right, not a privilege.
                Advertising though is explicitly needed to provide the service at Phoronix. If users don't want to deal with the ads, they don't have the right to benefit from the service.

Advertising forces unwanted content onto a user, sometimes even detracting from the service provided. Users still have the right to view what they want to view, regardless of however it may affect the content provider.
                Simply put, that is crap.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Advertising though is explicitly needed to provide the service at Phoronix. If users don't want to deal with the ads, they don't have the right to benefit from the service.

Simply put, that is crap.
                  Then consider making phoronix not public and be accessable only through a membership login. Otherwise we can open a big discussion about "they don't have the right to benefit from the service." . Basicly what you are saying is that a user can't deny some incoming http connections if he wants to view phoronix.com. This is worse then any Microsoft EULA I've ever read. But again, I understand your points. But as said, if you want me to say "Michael is right", then go for a membership access otherwise you must accept adblock or simplier people denying incoming http connections.

Comment

Exactly my thoughts. On a public website, the user has every right to what script or other data is executed or downloaded onto their computer.

Comment

Working...
                    X