Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article with comments unreadable and no forum post

I am talking about this article:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Weird: The comments are visibly open but unreadable to me and it saw no forum post for the article either.

In Addtion, Michael your PM box is full. One cannot send a message to "the admin". As suggested.

That thread is under the premium-only section of the forums to avoid those that create 'burner' / extra accounts just to flame in forums with their very vocal personal opinions and attacks or whatever other garbage that a subset of users try to do... So moving it to the premium-only section avoids that issue and generally keeps such threads more civilized for discussion.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I get it. Thank you for answering.

Comment

It's damn stupid and it should be called censorship!
        And limiting access to read criticism/discussion is much more worse form of censorsip than muting opponents.
        I understand limiting unregistered users to read-only access because of spam. I can understand impising per-user limits if somebody makes rude personal attacks (but criticizing groups, including "minority groups" should be allowed if it's constructive/something more than name-calling), but users bans should be public with clear reasoning (not because some stupid "moderator" doesn't agree, because then it's pure censorship)

It's very frustrating to read article, click to see comments and view empty page with info that you are not allowed to... And it's disrespectful for the readers
        Every time when somebody start criticizing SJWs or *Alphabet* community comments got hidden. Why? I understand they could lock thread, but why hide previous comments?
        It's nothing, but censorship. It helps nothing, but brings frustration, because you cannot even see why thread was blocked (and yes, everybody should be able read the locked thread and think themselves what's wrong and what's right, not read some explanation by unobjective moderatorwhat happened later./it looks like somebody don't like comments/truth and wants to hide it, it's becoming very toxic)

If you don't want political discussion there, which is always hard to moderate BTW, than maybe all political topics (all CoCs, SJW, equality and outreach programs should be banned on Phoronix, because it's political from nature[not meritorical in any way], and topic discourse is natural consequence in such threads)

Freedom for the win! F*** sotware patents, DRM and press censorship!
        Why? Because Free Speech is warranty of Freedom.

I hope you the best Michael in building this GreatPhoronixWall, but i guess all free-minded folks will leave...

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
          It's damn stupid and it should be called censorship!
          And limiting access to read criticism/discussion is much more worse form of censorsip than muting opponents.
          I understand limiting unregistered users to read-only access because of spam. I can understand impising per-user limits if somebody makes rude personal attacks (but criticizing groups, including "minority groups" should be allowed if it's constructive/something more than name-calling), but users bans should be public with clear reasoning (not because some stupid "moderator" doesn't agree, because then it's pure censorship)

It's very frustrating to read article, click to see comments and view empty page with info that you are not allowed to... And it's disrespectful for the readers
          Every time when somebody start criticizing SJWs or *Alphabet* community comments got hidden. Why? I understand they could lock thread, but why hide previous comments?
          It's nothing, but censorship. It helps nothing, but brings frustration, because you cannot even see why thread was blocked (and yes, everybody should be able read the locked thread and think themselves what's wrong and what's right, not read some explanation by unobjective moderatorwhat happened later./it looks like somebody don't like comments/truth and wants to hide it, it's becoming very toxic)

If you don't want political discussion there, which is always hard to moderate BTW, than maybe all political topics (all CoCs, SJW, equality and outreach programs should be banned on Phoronix, because it's political from nature[not meritorical in any way], and topic discourse is natural consequence in such threads)

Freedom for the win! F*** sotware patents, DRM and press censorship!
          Why? Because Free Speech is warranty of Freedom.

I hope you the best Michael in building this GreatPhoronixWall, but i guess all free-minded folks will leave...
          Checked on the forum after a few months just out of curiosity. Looks like the last post I made is as relevant as ever:

I came to realize that this is quite literally in the recent years the only place where looking back I have been that annoyed at others to the point of being insulting, even (and especially) unfairly. Seriously.
          Not that this can ever qualify as a justification, but every time I passed by certain threads, I knew I was not going to have a good time. Anything dealing with systemd for instance, or anything related anyhow to hurr durr evil SJWs and the CoC or whatever. Because those are always a cesspool of bigotry. Just a few days ago, some moron casually threw away some antisemitism (which got moderated away promptly, thankfully). Plus people with otherwise no consideration of human life and e.g. want people to lose their job for BS reasons. Plus people who want to slap in their political opinion on every single topic.

There are a few rare exceptions (though mostly on other topics), where the point is actually about discussing interesting stuff as adults rather than trashtalking each other even when you are perfectly aware that neither you nor them will change their mind anyway.
          But those nice conversations are an exception. Honestly, I'm not willing to stay on these forums just for those rarities. It's not good for myself, nor for others.
          I might just end up coming back in a while but I doubt so.
          The previous comments in any threads involving those groups, as you said, were hidden because they were fucking awful. I've been on those threads. When it's not either side trashtalking each other, what I said in the above quote happens. Those threads were completely and utterly useless and a net negative for anyone. And that's an understatement.
          Isn't it ironical to want Michael to censor himself for these topics because they're "politics" when FOSS in its very nature is politics?
          As far as I'm aware, that thread mentioned in the OP was made "hidden" as soon as it was created, so I'm not even sure what you are talking about.

I don't really recall your username so, since I'm seeing your obsessed with those groups as well, I'm hoping that you're not part of those I described earlier. Otherwise that would make for a pretty saddening view.
          Don't fucking dare to use """free-minded""" as an excuse to try to humiliate and trashtalk other people.
          The people who are leaving these forums are people trying to keep their sanity. I'm probably not the first to have done that.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
            I don't really recall your username so, since I'm seeing your obsessed with those groups as well, I'm hoping that you're not part of those I described earlier. Otherwise that would make for a pretty saddening view.
            Don't fucking dare to use """free-minded""" as an excuse to try to humiliate and trashtalk other people.
            The people who are leaving these forums are people trying to keep their sanity. I'm probably not the first to have done that.
            I'm definitely not obsessed with those groups but tired of them trying to force their agenda and forcing their viewpoint using censorship and some stupid "minorities rights" (As a Liberal I strongly believe that law should be for everybody and making exceptions is stupid and making only loopholes. I'ts like Orweilian "equal" and "more equal".)
            But limiting access to read comments(I would understand write limitations) in the name of protecting some group rights (or maybe somebody want to hide poor moderating rules).

Generally I think that phoronix moderation system is really broken, because on other forums posts got usually hidden(and you can unhide them and judge by yourself if moderators at least tries to objective). It sometimes happen that threads got locked or some content of posts permamently deleted(but it goes with explanations, and it's about sensitive data). The problem is that on phoronix it's normal that posts or even whole threads got lost, and it goes without any traceability for users to judge themeselves if, when, by-who and why some decisions were taken. It's very anti-community, pro-mod and pro-censorship.
            I will probably switch to r/Linux, but never used it as news agegator, but at least looks similar and commenting system is much-less broken(comments got hidden, not deleted and because it's thread-based, you can easily focus on interesting threads[and skip annoying threads with comments, due to tree-based nature). For me personally benchmarks are MEH, on other sites usually switch to "Conclusions", so it will not be so much big loose.

And by simply calling somebody "bigoted", because somebody has different viewpoint than you is nothing more, than stupid name-calling
            If you look around trough wider perspective, 99% of people around you are not thinking themselves, but taking viewpoint of their parents or friends/community for granted. Otherwise there wouldn't be so hard right/left o republicans/democrats split, but there would be wider spectrum of people with different viewpoints and it would be hard to characterize so much them easily. But people usually are to lazy or not brave enough to think themselves and have strong feeling to belong to some community(and not to stand out)

Comment

Working...
            X