No announcement yet.

Project: Phoronix LCH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could handle that by specifying the revision in the product title... but yes, we are actively working on improving its interface.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I've got a few suggestions for LCH, one would be sub categories, vague, but specific enough, like for motherboards, have sub categories for the socke and chipset, for graphics cards split them by ati/nvidia/matrox/other, then split that into pci/pci express/agp/isa (were there isa gfx cards?).

I just don't understand the need for the processor section, as far as I know, any x86 cpu will work in linux, along with a ton of cpu's in different architectures, it may confuse new people thinking that their amd 3800+ isn't supported, since it isn't on that list, and frankly, I see no reason for any intel/amd cpu to be in a compatability list, they're all compatable.

--Scott

Comment

Perhaps you could appoint a moderation group to make sure that entries are uniform? And also a way to message people to tell them to add more detailed information? It grew quite quickly though! Looks great.

Comment

If the need arises, we will create such a moderation group. In the mean time, if you see any frivolous entries or other problems please email linux [at] phoronix.com

A message/email system is presently being developed.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
            I've got a few suggestions for LCH, one would be sub categories, vague, but specific enough, like for motherboards, have sub categories for the socke and chipset, for graphics cards split them by ati/nvidia/matrox/other, then split that into pci/pci express/agp/isa (were there isa gfx cards?).

I just don't understand the need for the processor section, as far as I know, any x86 cpu will work in linux, along with a ton of cpu's in different architectures, it may confuse new people thinking that their amd 3800+ isn't supported, since it isn't on that list, and frankly, I see no reason for any intel/amd cpu to be in a compatability list, they're all compatable.

--Scott
            I kind of agree with Scott here.

A good way of organizing the hardware entries in categories will do really great.

Maybe:

1. A way of filtering motherboard entries for PCI-express, agp, onboard sound, onboard video, etc.
            2. Breaking motherboard categories into AMD Athlon, Athlon XP, Pentium 2, Pentium 3, Pentium 4, Dual core processors, etc.
            3. Maybe divide the categories on graphics cards and have reference links to existing Phoronix benchmarks and articles. Also, benchmark numbers in the LCH might be nice too.
            4. Maybe on peripherals, having categories, separating mouse, keyboard, printers, scanners, mp3 players, etc. Then cutting that subcategory to usb, parallel port, firewire? or as needed...

Comment

Today some new code has been merged with the live Phoronix LCH site. There are a few tweaks in random locations, and other minor improvements.

One of the new items is on the bottom of the Phoronix LCH home-page. Now listed is a a line "Sort By User Rating: Failed | Poor | Satisfactory | Good | Excellent", and when clicking on one of the values the hardware comments listed in each of those categories will be displayed.

More updates to come soon.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
              X