X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edwaleni
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    xorbe That’s my observation as well. I believe the correlation between a mature community and willingness to pay for content is pretty solid.
    I can read Michael's content and forums for free just by setting up an account and also ad block. I pay and tip because I learn a lot from Phoronix, not because it meets some nebulous guide to moderation. He earns the pay by providing timely and worthwhile content, not by his ability to moderate forums.

Other than a few outliers, Phoronix forums is pretty well behaved overall.

I don't mind him asking for dough periodically because he provides a lot of value.

On a serious vein, if you seek a mature community to discuss Linux, I would form a local LUG and fork your moderation standards to it and see how well it works. That is not being snarky, that is the Linux way. If you don't like the spin, fork it and do it yourself.

Leave a comment:

• 144Hz
    replied
    xorbe That’s my observation as well. I believe the correlation between a mature community and willingness to pay for content is pretty solid.

Leave a comment:

• xorbe
    replied
    Redfoxmoon Objectively it’s lost revenue.. Poor commenting like this will keep paying people away. Lessons learned at LWN.
    I don't really remember seeing much trolling or noise in lwn comments, maybe I missed something.

Leave a comment:

• Linux_Chemist
    replied
    The forums are a little aside to voice your opinion or share a link/bit of gossip from the tech world etc. There's nothing wrong with swearing. Don't take words on a screen so personally. It's free speech which you're free to disregard or question, but they're entitled to write whatever they like as long as there's an obvious point to it (and on topic to the thread).
    If you see something obnoxious or off topic....scroll past it. Internet 101.

Michael's efforts and due diligence are reason enough for a little financial uplift whenever possible. I don't have a lot of disposable income, but I'll setup a paypal and send you something shortly. If you set funding goals on the site like wikipedia, you might garner a little more support, but I think it wouldn't hurt to do a strawpoll or two on how the business model should adapt in order to be able to continue.

Leave a comment:

• 144Hz
    replied
    pingouinator Do you expect people to pay for a community like this? Strawmen, accusations and brigading. Sorry but no.

Michael have you considered selling a week long exclusive to benchmark articles to sites like LWN? High value content is better suited there, really..

Leave a comment:

• pingouinator
    replied
    You say "moderation" but what you actually want is censorship. You're not fooling anyone.

Leave a comment:

• 144Hz
    replied
    pingouinator Strawman. Moderation and censorship are very different things..

Leave a comment:

• Cape
    replied
    Redfoxmoon Objectively it’s lost revenue.. Poor commenting like this will keep paying people away. Lessons learned at LWN.
    Premium != safespace
    Premium = support Micheal

I - for one - love some contrast when i post in this forum! Keeps the pump going ❤ ;-)
    I would hate to have this place be turned into a boring politically correct hell hole.

Leave a comment:

• pingouinator
    replied
    I'd like to see proof that users asking for censorship would actually pay to be premium.

Meanwhile as an actual premium user it would have made me go away.

Leave a comment:

• Redfoxmoon
    replied
    Again subjective, because of you I've subscribed today :^)

ah yes, LWN, the echo chamber site, I do love that one. /s

Leave a comment:

Working...
X