Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Christmas Gift For Phoronix Readers - Improving Graphs

Phoronix: A Christmas Gift For Phoronix Readers - Improving Graphs

First of all, Merry Christmas for those of you celebrating today or Happy Holidays regardless...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you for your contribution.

I'd like to see more of operations vs size dependent graphs.

One example from my mini bench mark:

I don't know if this would be feasible... But just an idea.

Comment

I think the graphs are pretty fine (red for AMD, blue for Intel, green for Nvidia, with the tested piece properly highlighted).

There are only two suggestions I have:
      1. Make it more obvious which graphs are "higher is better" and which are "lower is better". The small font is atrocious on the eye, maybe use a slightly different background for one category.
      2. When testing more than one thing using the same test (e.g. min/avg/max fps+fps/W for one game), maybe group all graphs together, add tabs and make them clickable or changeable on mouse hover.

Happy holidays everyone.

Comment

When drawing graphs, Min FPS is an irrelevant statistic (like Max FPS), it's a single frame that could screw the whole statistics. But a 95 percentile, if you could implement that, it would give a much better impression with regards to its performance.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
          When drawing graphs, Min FPS is an irrelevant statistic (like Max FPS), it's a single frame that could screw the whole statistics. But a 95 percentile, if you could implement that, it would give a much better impression with regards to its performance.
          For engines/games exposing per-frame data, that is where you see the box plots displayed as secondary metrics to the FPS graphs... Unfortunately, most games don't expose the per-frame information so can't report percentile data, so just the average (and min / max when exposed) are reported.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Better scaling for mobile would be good, currently the graphs are cut off in vertical mode.

(And there are also some other issues on mobile forum usage...)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

For engines/games exposing per-frame data, that is where you see the box plots displayed as secondary metrics to the FPS graphs... Unfortunately, most games don't expose the per-frame information so can't report percentile data, so just the average (and min / max when exposed) are reported.
              I vaguely remember something about there being a Vulkan layer that could expose frame timing info? was there ever any movement on this?

Comment

never mind, I spoke without thinking it through
                Last edited by boxie; 25 December 2019, 11:45 PM. Reason: OP was jumping the shark

Comment

Graph texts are invisible for me in Samsung internet browser for Android in dark mode.

Comment

It would be nice if graph labels had hover or clickable tooltip for specs metadata, something like:

Comment

Working...
                    X