Offensive language rules.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive language rules.

Is language used by Pal666 starting from here allowed on Phoronix?

He has been talking like this since he joined Phoronix.

Comment

Why exactly wouldn't it be?

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
        Why exactly wouldn't it be?
        Do you routinely personally insult people you are not agreeing with? Do you think it's normal and acceptable behaviour?

I don't. Since I thought it gets me nowhere, I haven't bothered making a topic about it. If more people would vote with their wallets, maybe it would have an effect on general toxicity, I don't know.
        Being on Premium and just reporting offensive posts (like one particular guy expressing opinion that he would like to have me for a slave) did seem to get me nowhere. But I've voted with my own wallet, I canceled Premium about month a go because I got fed up with toxic attitude exhibited by certain set of users (one of them actually being pal666).

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Do you routinely personally insult people you are not agreeing with? Do you think it's normal and acceptable behaviour?

I don't. Since I thought it gets me nowhere, I haven't bothered making a topic about it. If more people would vote with their wallets, maybe it would have an effect on general toxicity, I don't know.
          Being on Premium and just reporting offensive posts (like one particular guy expressing opinion that he would like to have me for a slave) did seem to get me nowhere. But I've voted with my own wallet, I canceled Premium about month a go because I got fed up with toxic attitude exhibited by certain set of users (one of them actually being pal666).
          Yeah, answer a question which wasn't even directed towards you by throwing a bunch of insults. Way to go fighting "toxicity" with hypocrisy.

Comment

aht0 Thank you for the information.

Djhg2000 Comment sections can be informative to read in some communities, like pull request comments on GH, or on Phoronix when there are experts in a field.
            • Firstly, toxicity in communities makes it take more time to filter out the signal from the noise. Most people, I assume, have more engaging ways to spend their time than to filter constructive comments from toxic comments.
            • Secondly, when it is unattractive to read a comment section, people with more interesting ways to spend their time won't partake in it as much. Reducing the signal even further.

Comment

Originally posted by J.G. View Post
              Djhg2000 Comment sections can be informative to read in some communities, like pull request comments on GH, or on Phoronix when there are experts in a field.
              • Firstly, toxicity in communities makes it take more time to filter out the signal from the noise. Most people, I assume, have more engaging ways to spend their time than to filter constructive comments from toxic comments.
              • Filtering through information is a basic skill. The reason it's fundamentally neccessary to possess that basic skill is because only you know what's relevant to you. If we implement automatic filtering then we surrender control of what information we can absorb to an algorithm.

I don't usually use religious metaphors since I'm an atheist, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Originally posted by J.G. View Post
              • Secondly, when it is unattractive to read a comment section, people with more interesting ways to spend their time won't partake in it as much. Reducing the signal even further.
            Of course it's easier to take shortcuts, that's why they're called shortcuts. It's also true that you can improve the signal to noise ratio by attenuating everything until you get nothing but fractions of your signal. If you want anything better then you need a strict definition for what the signal is supposed to look like.

How do you expect to find a single unified definition of what noise is in a forum discussion?

Comment

Honestly, the ambiance on these forums is just toxic. I understand your frustration against that pal666 guy, but honestly, he is far from being the worst in the pack.
              It's just the forum as a whole that makes it so you cannot have nice things.

I came to realize that this is quite literally in the recent years the only place where looking back I have been that annoyed at others to the point of being insulting, even (and especially) unfairly. Seriously.
              Not that this can ever qualify as a justification, but every time I passed by certain threads, I knew I was not going to have a good time. Anything dealing with systemd for instance, or anything related anyhow to hurr durr evil SJWs and the CoC or whatever. Because those are always a cesspool of bigotry. Just a few days ago, some moron casually threw away some antisemitism (which got moderated away promptly, thankfully). Plus people with otherwise no consideration of human life and e.g. want people to lose their job for BS reasons. Plus people who want to slap in their political opinion on every single topic.

There are a few rare exceptions (though mostly on other topics), where the point is actually about discussing interesting stuff as adults rather than trashtalking each other even when you are perfectly aware that neither you nor them will change their mind anyway.
              But those nice conversations are an exception. Honestly, I'm not willing to stay on these forums just for those rarities. It's not good for myself, nor for others.
              I might just end up coming back in a while but I doubt so.

Comment

AsuMagic Thank you for your insights.

"Honestly, the ambiance on these forums is just toxic. I understand your frustration against that pal666 guy, but honestly, he is far from being the worst in the pack." I'm glad I haven't run into that yet. Though, after the pal666 posts and this thread, I haven't been as active on this website.

"Not that this can ever qualify as a justification" I'm glad that you realise that yourself.

"or anything related anyhow to hurr durr evil SJWs and the CoC or whatever." That is sad to hear. Before signing up for this website, I expected this website to attract real people.

"Honestly, I'm not willing to stay on these forums just for those rarities. It's not good for myself, nor for others. I might just end up coming back in a while but I doubt so." This is currently my feeling.

And that results in my previous point here. The more interesting people have better things to do than swim in a cesspool. The people like pal666 create the cesspool, and people like Djhg2000 enjoy swimming in it. Those people are not whose takes I am interested in reading, but they drive away the people whose opinions I am interested in reading.
                A vicious cycle.

I imagine it must be very difficult for Michael, where it is so difficult to find a subscriber base so niche that it must be difficult to enforce standards. If he would start fostering a normal environment, it would take a long time for people to regain trust of this community, while pushing away current active members.

Comment

Djhg2000 Filtering through information may be basic skill but actual question is whether I want to spend my time shifting through ceaseless ranting and insults or potentially useful technical information. In former case, I could just go join some radical fringe group of infantile nutcases, but since I've joined what is supposedly techical site it should be pretty damn obvious I wanted the latter.

Comment

• Working...
                    X