Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's That Time Of The Year For The Annual Phoronix Premium Sale To Show Your Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post
    Bitcoin pls! Muh privacy. I don't want to dox myself by Paypal. :C
    Lmao, I already know who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
      Thanks Michael. Does premium include full articles via RSS?
      I second this, as I am trying to decide on whether I'll extend my subscription. I wouldn't mind if the articles with graphs were to remain short snippets. I'm more interested in having full-text for the short articles: it's annoying to open in a web browser every link I am interested in, as it probably takes 2 or 3 times longer for me to read these (read the RSS feed, open articles, switch to web browser, context switch, remember the headlines I selected, get distracted by a tab...).

As a comparison, Ars technica currently generates one feed per subscriber, and they say they monitor them.
      These are the URLs to your personal full-text RSS feeds. Please try your hardest not to share these with your buddies, as we'll be monitoring them for major abuses. Each feed has a personal identifier in the URL, and we may disable feeds when abuse is detected.
      Their image galleries do not work trough RSS, but I don't mind much (I open the website when I want to see more pictures). If one of their feeds is http://arstechnica.com/gaming/feed/ , the full text one is http://arstechnica.com/gaming/feed/?...67890123456789 (the key being unique to each subscriber).

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

He gave this community a flavor I miss badly. Taking him down is harmful to this place, and I feel like it's not the same these days.
        I agree. I did not see massive harm done by him requiring a ban.

Comment

Hi Michael,

you are doing GREAT GREAT job for Linux and Linux community. Thank you!
          Direct support from your readers is fine, but question: have you tried to ask for support "Linux Foundation"? I'm pretty sure that your benchmarks are making Linux better and certainly your outputs are important for Linux development. You are part of Linux development and I think you certainly deserve support from Linux Foundation - because it is not "only" your time you spend with benchmarks, but you have really costs with running your infrastructure etc.

F.

Comment

I feel so bad about never being able to support you Michael, but this is my last year in university so I'm hoping that come this time next year I will have the money to buy premium to help you out. I switched to viewing your site in Chrome so more ads display versus firefox with tracking off that for some reason prevents all ads. I for one am very thankful for the work you do covering Linux and the BSDs. A sincere thanks for all you do, you are appreciated sir!

Comment

He gave this community a flavor I miss badly. Taking him down is harmful to this place, and I feel like it's not the same these days.
              I'm here for the benchmarks and for the enlightening comments and quality information that sometimes pop up when threads remain civil and on-topic for long enough. That we sometimes get to hear from well-known FLOSS contributors is just the icing on the cake.

It's one thing to present dissenting opinions and pertinent insight in a reasonably civilised discourse in the relevant context (which the poster in question did on the odd occasion). It's quite another to indiscriminately spew the same bullshit over and over again and derail on-topic threads when doing so (which the poster in question began doing with increasing frequency as I recall).

In my view, the end result was that the poster in question significantly decreased the signal-to-noise ratio across comment threads; if that is the flavor to which you are referring, I have to say that I do not miss it. In fact, I think the decision has ultimately been quite beneficial in terms of the resulting overall increase in the signal-to-noise ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

I'm here for the benchmarks and for the enlightening comments and quality information that sometimes pop up when threads remain civil and on-topic for long enough. That we sometimes get to hear from well-known FLOSS contributors is just the icing on the cake.

It's one thing to present dissenting opinions and pertinent insight in a reasonably civilised discourse in the relevant context (which the poster in question did on the odd occasion). It's quite another to indiscriminately spew the same bullshit over and over again and derail on-topic threads when doing so (which the poster in question began doing with increasing frequency as I recall).

In my view, the end result was that the poster in question significantly decreased the signal-to-noise ratio across comment threads; if that is the flavor to which you are referring, I have to say that I do not miss it. In fact, I think the decision has ultimately been quite beneficial in terms of the resulting overall increase in the signal-to-noise ratio.
                A community without shitposting is dry and stale. There has to be some noise, preferably so much that digging out information is a task in itself. I guess you never participated in a good community in your life.

Comment

A community without shitposting is dry and stale. There has to be some noise, preferably so much that digging out information is a task in itself. I guess you never participated in a good community in your life.
                  Apparently we have a different idea of what a "good community" is.

Comment

@DebianXFCE is still banned, so there's no chance I'll pay.
                    Actually, thanks for pointing that out. Now that I think about it, I haven't noticed so many flames around here, lately.

Even if it's fun to watch trolls, that doesn't make it healthy for the community. These forums have value beyond mere entertainment. IMO, it's clear what the priority should be.
                    Last edited by coder; 27 November 2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

In case anyone missed this, here's another good reason to support Phoronix:

https://twitter.com/michaellarabel/s...38461910069248
                      (12:48 AM - 5 Nov 2019: "On paternity leave for the day, back to the grind tomorrow.")

...or step up your support, if you already do.

Comment

Working...
                      X