Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's That Time Of The Year For The Annual Phoronix Premium Sale To Show Your Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you plan to offer other payment options? I don't use paypal, and never will. I don't mind if you add the payment method cost on top of the subscription!

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
      Do you plan to offer other payment options? I don't use paypal, and never will. I don't mind if you add the payment method cost on top of the subscription!
      I do Google payments and other forms (Amazon.com gift cards, etc) manually. Any particular method you like?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I do Google payments and other forms (Amazon.com gift cards, etc) manually. Any particular method you like?
        Yeah google payments is fine for me! Send me a link please

Comment

Yeah google payments is fine for me! Send me a link please
          Not sure of a 'link', but you can Google pay [email protected] and then email me at phoronix or post here once you do so.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Not sure of a 'link', but you can Google pay [email protected] and then email me at phoronix or post here once you do so.
            Tried to PM you, your mailbox is full

Comment

Tried to PM you, your mailbox is full
              michael at phoronix.com for emails. My forum inbox is actually empty but has issues with PMs.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Bitcoin pls! Muh privacy. I don't want to dox myself by Paypal. :C

Comment

Hey Michael, I paid for premium several years ago but I don't think I used it more than once or twice the entire year because I was almost always reading on mobile (usually linked from Google News and your short RSS clips). Even when I was on my laptop/desktop I'd usually forget because there is no login link on the main page. I know Premium is linked to our forum usernames but a lot of people probably just want to support you and get access to single page articles and don't really care to post in the forums much if ever. Having a login link on the home page just makes sense.

Also speaking of ways to support you, you should definitely become a Brave registered publisher. Your audience probably already has a larger than average number of Brave users, and general use is growing too. It looks like there was a thread asking you about this a couple months ago but it got no response so I thought I'd bring it up again. It really is an extremely convenient way for people to support the sites they actually use proportionally and to seamlessly tip extra when the mood strikes them. Plus you'll be letting a lot of people who can't afford memberships support you continuously while still blocking ads/tracking etc.

Viewers who use the Brave Browser may have contributed money to you while surfing the web through Brave Creators. Simply sign up as a verified content creator on Brave Creators to start collecting your contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by rswinkle View Post
                    Hey Michael, I paid for premium several years ago but I don't think I used it more than once or twice the entire year because I was almost always reading on mobile (usually linked from Google News and your short RSS clips). Even when I was on my laptop/desktop I'd usually forget because there is no login link on the main page. I know Premium is linked to our forum usernames but a lot of people probably just want to support you and get access to single page articles and don't really care to post in the forums much if ever. Having a login link on the home page just makes sense.
                    The forums and the main site are powered by two different software systems which is why there isn't a login page from the main site.

When last looking at BAT, it was only going to ever bring in some cents per month, unless Brave has really improved since then.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

The forums and the main site are powered by two different software systems which is why there isn't a login page from the main site.

When last looking at BAT, it was only going to ever bring in some cents per month, unless Brave has really improved since then.
                      Ah, I should have known there was a technical reason. Oh well.

Brave has definitely grown in usage (and matured as a browser and BAT ecosystem) tremendously in the last couple years:
                      Over the past 4 ½ years I've been helping to build a "big" new startup named Brave. It's been a wild ride, far exceeding anything I could have imagined. The company has grown from a team of 2, to over 100 passionate mission-driven teammates. Our user base has grown to 8.7 million monthly active users. Our users help support over 300,000 registered content creators via micropayments. And our community is growing and thriving more every day.

Says it's at 8.7 million monthly active users in that post, and it was only 8 million last month.
                      Brave is growing on the user front, with daily active users passing the 2.8 million mark recently, and monthly active users now at 8 million. There are also over 290,000 Brave Verified Publishers.

Also there usage share on Android grew even faster earlier:
                      As we look ahead to 2019 and our upcoming Brave 1.0 release with Brave Ads that will reward users for their attention with Basic Attention Tokens (BAT), we wanted to share some of our 2018 milestones and thank our users and partners for their support during this busy year.

Personally, I've been using it on Android for at least a year and a half and the desktop version for just under a year.

And for some short 1 time setup effort, even a 10-50 cents a month adds up when you have 10's of thousands (or more) of those right? Better than getting 0 from those people for sure. Just my 2 cents. Even Wikipedia is registered now.

Comment

Working...
                      X