Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Phoronix Premium Oktoberfest 2019 Deal - Support Linux/Open-Source Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Phoronix Premium Oktoberfest 2019 Deal - Support Linux/Open-Source Benchmarking

Phoronix: The Phoronix Premium Oktoberfest 2019 Deal - Support Linux/Open-Source Benchmarking

While sadly this is another year not out at Oktoberfest for the once annual Phoronix reader gathering/pilgrimage, there is another Phoronix Premium sale for those interested. With Oktoberfest kicking off today in Munich, here's the start of our premium sale if wishing to support our daily news and benchmarking operations while enjoying features like ad-free viewing and multi-page articles on a single page...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: The Phoronix Premium Oktoberfest 2019 Deal - Support Linux/Open-Source Benchmarking

While sadly this is another year not out at Oktoberfest...
    No need to be sad, Oktoberfest in Munich has turned horrible over the years, expensive like hell, drunken tourists like hell, crowded like hell...

Comment

Speaking of which (linux benchmarking), will the Daily Mainline Kernel Test on the Phoromatic website be resumed someday? (last update is April 29)
      Last edited by halo9en; 22 September 2019, 07:50 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
        Speaking of which (linux benchmarking), will the Daily Mainline Kernel Test on the Phoromatix website be resumed someday? (last update is April 29)
        Unsure. No commercial supporters to it and due to thermal/power constraints I suspended it for the time being. Might resume it just for weeks around the merge window or something.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Dammit, I missed the deal.

What would drive me a bit more to buy it (I'm unsure if it's a feature ATM) is full-text RSS. I would really appreciate to read full-length phoronix article form my (Nextcloud) RSS reader

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
            Dammit, I missed the deal.

What would drive me a bit more to buy it (I'm unsure if it's a feature ATM) is full-text RSS. I would really appreciate to read full-length phoronix article form my (Nextcloud) RSS reader
            Deal doesn't end until next week, whoops. Just realized 22nd date was shown rather than 29th.

RSS reader full-text is still being figured out for securing it and also the issue of graphs in articles. Some RSS readers don't like SVG and in that case would need to fall back to PNG, but in doing so dynamically would require JavaScript that is also a problem for some RSS readers. Just defaulting to PNG would degrade the experience for those that support SVG.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

How about dark theme to make this a more attractive deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
                How about dark theme to make this a more attractive deal?
                Putting that behind a paywall would be pretty gross.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigone View Post
                  Putting that behind a paywall would be pretty gross.
                  Why? It's optional and could be one of the perks of the Premium plan. GamingOnLinux does it and I supported them after they implemented the dark theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Deal doesn't end until next week, whoops. Just realized 22nd date was shown rather than 29th.

RSS reader full-text is still being figured out for securing it and also the issue of graphs in articles. Some RSS readers don't like SVG and in that case would need to fall back to PNG, but in doing so dynamically would require JavaScript that is also a problem for some RSS readers. Just defaulting to PNG would degrade the experience for those that support SVG.
                    Thanks for the correction

Well, I would be quite happy without the graphs for starters, as this is most useful for short articles
                    If I'm going to spend a while reading graphs, I can usually afford to wait for the web page to load.

I'm not sure whether this fallback mechanism could be leveraged inside an RSS feed? It probably wouldn't hurt, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X