Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOSDEM 2018 Is This Weekend In Brussels

Phoronix: FOSDEM 2018 Is This Weekend In Brussels

It's a bit late to make arrangements if you already weren't planning on it, but this weekend is FOSDEM in Brussels. FOSDEM remains one of the best open-source/Linux events in the world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could you maybe find an ad provider that is not blocked by firefox's built in tracking protection?

(Or set up a Liberapay account)

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
      Could you maybe find an ad provider that is not blocked by firefox's built in tracking protection?

(Or set up a Liberapay account)
      I second this. I disabled Ublock Origin for your site, but I still don't see adds because they are dependent on trackers.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post

I second this. I disabled Ublock Origin for your site, but I still don't see adds because they are dependent on trackers.
        Unfortunately not aware of any ad providers that work without tracking.... Are there any? The last time I heard of one, its pay was going to be so low that it was going to be only a couple cents per thousand page views as the ad providers weren't interested without tracking.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

About half of the ads on distro watch still show with tracking protection on.

Comment

get a patreon?

Comment

Patreon? Why use it when tips and subscriptions exist?

I'm using opera on Android without any adblocker. Third party cookies are disabled though. I'm seeing most of the commercials with the exception of the top down one, the one that scrolls up and down with the page. There may be an issue with the web page?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                get a patreon?
                Patreon doesn't really offer anything over PayPal subscriptions.... For the few people that have been anti-PayPal or requested Patreon, they ended up paying via other means and are happy. For those that are anti-PayPal, I accept Google Pay, BTC/LTC, or have even twice done Amazon.com gift cards as payment...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
                  Unfortunately due to the still rampant use of ad-blockers on the site and that not being made up by new premium supporters, it's another year I unfortunately will not be in attendance at FOSDEM.
                  How about some transparency and statistics? E.g. how many % of visitors really block ads?

Also, if you want to attend such an event, why don't you disclose that timely beforehand, ask for donations for that specific purpose and not just complain afterwards that you were not able to go? I could imagine something like Wikipedia's annual call for donations: "Phoronix FOSDEM coverage target, reached x out of y $" as a banner (maybe just not as tremendously as wikipedia's) on the main page. Maybe it works, maybe not, why not give it a try? If you want to go and people want you to go it will work. If it doesn't, people don't care if there is local coverage and you don't have to complain about not being able to go anymore.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Unfortunately not aware of any ad providers that work without tracking.... Are there any? The last time I heard of one, its pay was going to be so low that it was going to be only a couple cents per thousand page views as the ad providers weren't interested without tracking.
                  What about coinhive? People are demonising it, which I can't really understand. I personally don't care if my desktop consumes a few watts more or less when visiting a page. That's barely worse than tracking, profiling, spamming, distracting, bandwidth-heavy advertising. Also, it works automatically, just like ads, without people having to remember to send money or anything like that. If you are open about it (write an article or add a note to the start page), people might agree. Or not, in which case they could block it anyways. Are unpredictable rewards better than none at all? I think so.
                  Last edited by juno; 03 February 2018, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                    What about coinhive? People are demonising it, which I can't really understand. I personally don't care if my desktop consumes a few watts more or less when visiting a page. That's barely worse than tracking, profiling, spamming, distracting, bandwidth-heavy advertising. Also, it works automatically, just like ads, without people having to remember to send money or anything like that. If you are open about it (write an article or add a note to the start page), people might agree. Or not, in which case they could block it anyways. Are unpredictable rewards better than none at all? I think so.
                    How about no.

Comment

Working...
                    X