Add new test to Phoromatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add new test to Phoromatic

I've been working on implementing a new test for Phoromatic. I've been able to get it to work from the PTS CLI so I'm reasonably confident that it works and pulls the correct results. However, we'd like to be able to instantiate the test via Phoromatic. So far the only way we've been able to do this is by hand editing the pts.index file. This works but isn't really sustainable. Is there a better way to do this? As in does the test profile need to be a specific directory and then we can trigger an rebuild of the pts.index manually (or local index if it exist)?

We'd be happy to submit the test to OpenBenchmarking but I'd like to fully test it in situ before I submit.

Also, does the phoromatic client have to run as root or can we run it as an non-privileged user?

My apologies. I found another thread on this when searching on pts.index that had an answer.

Comment

Hi rapier1

At the moment there isn't an easy way of adding a custom test locally to the Phoromatic Server, just the few hacky ways you've discovered. It's still on my TODO list adding auto-detection of local tests on Phoromatic Server and being able to distribute that to clients... Hopefully soon.

The easiest way is, yes, uploading the test to OpenBenchmarking.org.

The Phoromatic client doesn't have any fundamental requirement on root. Just that you either get the service running as a user or often it's just easiest as root. With root easy to then allow the system to be rebooted when needed, etc, without dealing with additional permissions but from the PTS perspective does not really matter if run as user or root.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hi, I'm also trying to run custom benchmarks on Phoromatic. Can someone elaborate on these "hacks", specifically for PTS 7.2?

Comment

Hi aurnes rapier1 etc

Within the latest Phoronix-Test-Suite Git code (https://github.com/phoronix-test-sui...nix-test-suite) and to be found in next month's Phoronix Test Suite 7.8 release is now the ability for Phoromatic Servers to offer up any custom/local tests to Phoromatic clients / PTS systems aware of their Phoromatic Server. This is assuming you have updated both the client (phoronix-test-suite) and the Phoromatic Server is also up-to-date against the latest Git code.

If both the client/server are updated, any test profile (including local/ tests and any other working test you have on the Phoromatic Server) can now be served to Phoronix Test Suite clients automatically. E.g. say you have a local/some-local-test test profile on the Phoromatic Server, any connected PTS client if running "phoronix-test-suite benchmark some-local-test" will now query Phoromatic Servers to see if a match exists and then serve it if available.

Let me know if you run into any questions or issues,
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X