Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use phoronix test suite with steam related benchmark - NOOB inside

Hi,

There is probably something I have missed but cannot find a way out.

I am running steam on ArchLinux.
    I try to install a test related to steam (e.g. pts/dirt-rally):
    Phoronix Test Suite v7.0.0

To Install: pts/dirt-rally-1.0.1

Determining File Requirements .................................................. ..................................
    Searching Download Caches .................................................. ......................................

1 Test To Install
    2MB Of Disk Space Is Needed

pts/dirt-rally-1.0.1:
    Test Installation 1 of 1
    1 File Needed
    File Found: dirt-rally-prefs-1.tar.gz [0.00MB]
    Installation Size: 2 MB
    Installing Test @ 17:17:27

[NOTICE] This test will attempt to install the necessary game using your Steam account. If the test appears
    hung you may need to manually exit the Steam client.

It opens my steam client ... and then what should I do (the game is already installed)?

Thanks and congrats for this great tool and site!

hey,
    if i get you right, you did:
    Code:
    phoronix-test-suite install pts/dirt-rally
    so, if the game is installed in steam, then what you describe is correct. you can now start the benchmark by
    Code:
    phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/dirt-rally
    for example. if this is what you already did and the game is not starting, theres an issue...

Comment

Thanks, you got it right. Did not get it from the script message that nothing to be done ... Just execute!

Do I need to do anything in the game when excecuting benchmark?

Comment

When now I try to launch the benchmark
        Code:
        phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/dirt-rally
        Nothing happens in the game.

I tried to interact in the game (remove warning and pick "Play") but nothing visible happens.
        If I close the game, I need to kill many steam processes in the background.

Comment

are you able to play it by just normally launching it from steam? if not, the error message you get is probably true.
          according to steam the game needs ubuntu or steamOS (both debian based) - arch linux is not debian based.

Comment

I can play but performance are not great ... hence why trying to figure out the problem.
            I can run the benchmark within the game.
            I do not see why if it would work on debian based distribution it would not work on arch.

Just finished bunch of benchmark on windows with intern benchmark ... game is running very well on my hardware.

Comment

Back to original question, any hint what is going wrong when I am trying to execute in-game benchmark using phoronix test suite?

Comment

I don't know, but I've heard that if you have steam games installed in a different path, PTS won't work. Anyway, PTS doesn't work for me either. My games are installed on a different disk in /media, while steam is installed in /home.

Comment

Working...
                X