Need help Creating Netperf test suite with PTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help Creating Netperf test suite with PTS

I currently test open-source network drivers, among the various tests I currently run against the kernel with PTS, I'd like to be able to run a battery of Netperf tests to track regressions in the various speed metrics between builds. I can't make much sense of the test programming and how it relates to running a specific program with parameters, and then passing those results back to the PTS server. Basically what I want to do is create a test suite that will run Netperf TCP_RR, TCP_STREAM, TCP_MAERTS, UDP_STREAM, and UDP_MAERTS and graph the results over time much as is currently done with existing tests using PTS. I would be more than happy to share the test suite on openbenchmarking.org once I get it up and running :-)

Thanks in advance for your help

Originally posted by bigbadsubaru View Post
    I currently test open-source network drivers, among the various tests I currently run against the kernel with PTS, I'd like to be able to run a battery of Netperf tests to track regressions in the various speed metrics between builds. I can't make much sense of the test programming and how it relates to running a specific program with parameters, and then passing those results back to the PTS server. Basically what I want to do is create a test suite that will run Netperf TCP_RR, TCP_STREAM, TCP_MAERTS, UDP_STREAM, and UDP_MAERTS and graph the results over time much as is currently done with existing tests using PTS. I would be more than happy to share the test suite on openbenchmarking.org once I get it up and running :-)

Thanks in advance for your help
    If you are able to post a bash script that basically sets up netperf and then runs all of the netperf tests, I can basically translate it into a PTS test profile/suite for your purposes. I'm not into network testing too much myself, but if you can basically show a script that does the testing you want, I can basically adapt it into PTS. Thanks,
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

# Netperf test script

#Sets IP address of server
      serverip=192.0.0.100

# Netperf TCP Stream test (Server to Client), 360 second test
      netperf -H $serverip -t TCP_STREAM -l 360

# Netperf TCP Stream test (Client to Server), 360 second test
      netperf -H $serverip -t TCP_MAERTS -l 360

# Netperf UDP Stream test (server to client) 10G bandwith, 360 second test
      netperf -H $serverip -t UDP_STREAM -l 360 -b 10G

# Netperf UDP Stream test (client to server) 10G bandwidth, 360 second test
      netperf -H $serverip -t UDP_MAERTS -l 360 -b 10G

# Netperf TCP Request-Response test, 360 second duration
      netperf -H $serverip -t TCP_RR -l 360

# Netperf UDP Request-Reponse test, 360 second duration
      netperf -H $serverip -t UDP_RR -l 360

Netperf is available at ftp://ftp.netperf.org/netperf/netperf-2.7.0.tar.gz

It uses a client (netperf) and a server component (netserver) which must be running on another system, my plan was to install netperf on the PTS server system I have set up and then each client will connect to it in order to run the tests. They are all on their own network with static IPs, server is 192.0.0.100 clients are .104 .108 and .112

Comment

# Netperf test script

serverip=192.0.0.100

It uses a client (netperf) and a server component (netserver) which must be running on another system, my plan was to install netperf on the PTS server system I have set up and then each client will connect to it in order to run the tests. They are all on their own network with static IPs, server is 192.0.0.100 clients are .104 .108 and .112
        Okay, that was pretty straightforward; thought it was more complex than that but haven't played with netperf in many years. Anyhow, will try coming up with a test profile out of it in the next day or two, stay tuned.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

# Netperf test script

I added an initial netperf test profile:

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

The raw contents for reference:

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

So you can run "phoronix-test-suite benchmark netperf" and it will setup the netperf client, prompt you for your server IP, what test(s) to run, and how long to run. Let me know if any questions or problems, etc. Seems to be running well on my end so far.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

# Netperf test script

serverip=192.0.0.100

Wrote more basic info on Netperf for PTS in - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nix-Test-Suite
            Michael Larabel

Comment

So I can get it to run, and it shows up in my test schedule, and on the test systems I can see it run, however it always reports the speed as 0 and none of the results appear in the results section with the rest of the tests :-(

Comment

Working...
              X