Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function ctype_upper()

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function ctype_upper()

First time I've tried to install it, I'm actually trying out phoronix to see if I can diagnose another problem with my radeon (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-...ighlight-.html), but I can't even run it.
    This is the error I'm getting when I try to run the phoronix software:
    ~ $ phoronix-test-suite
    PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function ctype_upper() in /usr/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/objects/pts_openbenchmarking.php on line 67
    (from a Konsole, as root or user, both the same)

When I installed it, I got the following two errors/warnings:
    PHP_TARGETS seems empty, php.ini file can't be configure. [sic]
    Make sure that PHP_TARGETS in /etc/make.conf is set.
    phoronix-test-suite needs the 'allow_url_fopen' option set to "On"
    for downloading to work properly.

PHP_Targets *is* set:
    ~ $ grep -i php_targets /etc/portage/make.conf
    PHP_TARGETS="php5-6"

And it's not the 'allow_url_fopen' thingy, that's set (although it took me a while to actually figure out _where_ to set it, but that's probably something from the gentoo ebuild not phoronix):
    $ grep -i allow_url_fopen /etc/php/cli-php5.6/php.ini
    allow_url_fopen = On

So, um, yeah. PHP Fatal Error. ctype_upper(). Something. I have no idea on where to even start, sounds like an error internal to the program. I've tried googling it and come up with a big fat zero hits for the same error. Any ideas, anyone?

(vitalstatistix, if it matters: Phenom II 1055T 6x, 20GB DDR3, R7 250X 2GB, Gentoo amd64, Kernel 4.0.4-hardened-r2, gcc x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.8.4, phoronix-test-suite-4.8.5, php-5.6.9, kde-4.14.3).

Anyone got any ideas? Problem with php setup? Installation? Config files missing or something?
    Any diagnostic tests I can do or files I can post here to help figure it out?

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. As far as I can see, it's a problem with the php setup. the php ctype functions are assumed in all recent versions of PHP. I haven't seen any other Gentoo (or any other distro) users report such an issue with the ctype* errors. If you're able to try re-installing/upgrading PHP that would be appreciated for figuring out this issue.

On a clean PHP install, IIRC, I just need to set --enable-xml --enable-zip and all the other defaults are fine but never had to deal with any ctype switches. I could add some fallbacks for dealing with the lack of ctype functions, but so far I've never seen this issue reported or seen it myself aside from your report.

Michael
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Was checking again today after seeing this post again and yeah, nothing new but seems to be some sort of weird issue with your setup.

This thread is now number one for the undefined ctype_upper problem with the other listings seeming to be from around ~2002.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
        X