Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demystifying Codenames: Trondheim

Phoronix: Demystifying Codenames: Trondheim

When pushing out the first public release of the Phoronix Test Suite, it was announced that the first stable (v1.0) release of this Linux benchmarking suite is codenamed "Trondheim", but what does that mean? After being bombarded with messages asking what is Trondheim or what it means as a codename, we have decided to explain it once and for all in this article.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was there once and I really enjoyed it. They put up a ski jump ramp where that first picture was taken and was one of the coolest events I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by KohlyKohl View Post
      I was there once and I really enjoyed it. They put up a ski jump ramp where that first picture was taken and was one of the coolest events I have ever seen.
      A ski ramp in front of the Torg at city center?? Which way did it lead with the streets near by? In the picture if it's not clear, it was an ice skating rink last time I was there.

** Going back to Trondheim in a few more weeks **
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I live here

Nice codename! Trondheim is a beautiful student city and the large, round red building is a very nice place to get drunk with fellow students ;p

Comment

Originally posted by kimble85 View Post
          the large, round red building is a very nice place to get drunk
          And here I was simply amused by it's long/interesting name (Studentersamfundet) so I snapped a picture, but I hadn't ventured inside.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

i so knew it!

Trondheim, hmm, they have nidarosdomen, which was just a big church, they host some nice servers to dl from
            And got some NAZI history since germany was there, so was somekinda nice stuff going on there.

Anyways, i like you guys @ phoronix, choosing actually NON us stuff, giving us in europe actually some fun..

Cause all sites are posting about US stuff, all the companies like AMD nvidia Intel ATI is like only Usa/ Canada. tired of that, why is like US so much better costumer than us.

Ey amd/intel/nvidia/ati, we got more money than US, give us some credit for buying so much!.

hehe, that was just abit of rage after seing so many competions which says US/Canada only

anywayz, trondheim have so much compared to "drammen" which is simular sized city with just alot of negro's and refugies which doesnt like school, norwegian food, norwegian language, norwegian rules.
            They like the goverment cause they give money.
            Not racistical ment, i have some few refugies, i dont blame them all, i blame some of them, which is a pain in the ass cause i pay tax so they can live without working!.

anywayz, whats the next codename ? stockholm, malm?, hamburg hehe. bring more european names, it gets people wondering!
            Last edited by Ole-Martin Broz; 14 April 2008, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I could be wrong, but it sure looks like the right place. It started from the roof and ended about half way between the street and the building. This gave them plenty of room to land. They had skiers and snowboarders doing tricks off of it. This happened around February of 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole-Martin Broz View Post
                anywayz, whats the next codename ? stockholm, malm?, hamburg hehe. bring more european names, it gets people wondering!
                Trondheim++ for now... I have no idea. 1.0 isn't even out the door yet and aside from profile/suite additions there won't be many pts-core changes so frequently. If you want to continue with the Nordic theme, how about Vinmonopolet? lol. Or more appropriate, benchmark-monopolet
                Michael Larabel

Comment

I could be wrong, but it sure looks like the right place. It started from the roof and ended about half way between the street and the building. This gave them plenty of room to land. They had skiers and snowboarders doing tricks off of it. This happened around February of 2002.
                  Hmm maybe I'll ask some people I know there about it. It probably is where you seen it. The Torg / city center is like a block in front of the Nidaros cathedral and two or three blocks away from the river on the right. It's also just one block west from a good English pub.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

As a new member, I signed up only because you chose such a cool name for your project... (Not to mention all your great Linux/solaris content!! Keep up the good work!)

Trondheim is an excellent student city (if you can handle the lousy weather) with lots of technology-advanced companies who scour the bright heads from the technical department of the local university. Those photos brings back good memories. And the round red building is the (semi-)famous student-"house" owned and run by students for students with the best partying I've ever been to. (That says alot about either "studentersamfundet" or me!)

Comment

Working...
                    X