Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regenwald
    replied
    amd/ati..............(need 10 characters to send this message^^)

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by bogdanbiv View Post
    Should those companies allow, you should start bragging about their support - I guess it would gain much more collaborators.
    Some of the involved companies will be clear in the near future... At least one so far is going as far as releasing a special demo of their softwate that is specifically designed for use with the PTS.

Leave a comment:

• bogdanbiv
    replied
    companies profile

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Up to this point it's just been me coding with the input of one other person, who wishes to remain anonymous at this time. However, there are a handful of companies now working to produce profiles for their software.
    Michael, what kind of contributors do you need?
    Oh, the part about companies is just marvelous.
    Should those companies allow, you should start bragging about their support - I guess it would gain much more collaborators.

Leave a comment:

• bogdanbiv
    replied
    PTS port to Windows

Can PTS be ever ported to Windows? MacOS?

A Windows port would gain:
    + comparable benchmark results between Linux/Windows
    + wider acceptance of the PTS as a test suite (due to the previous point)

Otherwise PTS will still be valuable for Linuxer's, but would not help Linux marketing efforts as it would still be dismissed by Windows users as a `Linux toy`.

Right now we should not have as an objective to replace established Windows benchmarks such as PC Mark / 3D Mark and this is no attempt at suggesting such a thing. I suppose PTS is too young for this kind of competition - and it will be for at least a couple of years.

So can we hope for some comparable benchmarks across platforms? Console, gui - whatever! How hard would it be to do?
    No sarcasm included here. No reading between the lines, please, as I post in good faith.
    I just want to check if others are interested in this idea, and I intend no push for features. Also I seek the opinion of programmers better than myself (that is almost any programmer :-) ) to estimate the porting effort.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I got my answer by carefully reading the article:
    The only pre-requisites for the Phoronix Test Suite are that you are running Linux (though other operating systems could easily be supported) and that you have the standard development tools/libraries installed (so that the Phoronix Test Suite can compile any of the needed benchmarks) along with php5-cli.
    Quote from the article page 2, second paragraph

Thanks again, Michael
    Last edited by bogdanbiv; 06 April 2008, 02:38 PM. Reason: add the quote of the answer

Leave a comment:

• Regenwald
    replied
    nice, glad to hear that

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
    yeah, good work. i have an off-topic question: how many developers have worked on it? just you michael or did you "enjoy" some external help?

Up to this point it's just been me coding with the input of one other person, who wishes to remain anonymous at this time. However, there are a handful of companies now working to produce profiles for their software.

Leave a comment:

• Regenwald
    replied
    yeah, good work. i have an off-topic question: how many developers have worked on it? just you michael or did you "enjoy" some external help?

Leave a comment:

• pm124493
    replied
    Quake4 demo gets 404 error on suite initialization

I get the following error during suite initialization for benchmark games.

=================================
    Installing Benchmark: quake4
    =================================
    --07:34:16-- ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/qua...-1.4.2.x86.run
    => `quake4-linux.run'
    Resolving ftp.idsoftware.com... 192.246.40.185
    Connecting to ftp.idsoftware.com|192.246.40.185|:21... connected.
    Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
    ==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
    ==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /idstuff/quake4/linux ... done.
    ==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR quake4-linux-1.4.2.x86.run ... done.
    Length: 287,552,973 (274M) (unauthoritative)

100%[================================================== ================>] 287,552,973 91.79K/s ETA 00:00

08:26:56 (88.88 KB/s) - `quake4-linux.run' saved [287552973]

--08:26:56-- http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/b...demo-1.tar.bz2
    => `quake4-demo.tar.bz2'
    Resolving www.phoronix-test-suite.com... 70.85.96.187
    Connecting to www.phoronix-test-suite.com|70.85.96.187|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    08:26:56 ERROR 404: Not Found.

bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
    perhaps it is corrupted? *Possible* reason follows.
    bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
    Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
    You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
    data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    mv: cannot stat `pts.demo': No such file or directory
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing Quake 4 (TM).............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................
    Quake 4 Game Files (*.pk4) Must Be Copied Into /root/pts-benchmark-env/quake4/q4base
    Also Copy Your Game Key File To ~/.quake4/q4base/quake4key (If Not Already There)

I tried to go to benchmark directory, but it gets a 404.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    a. it will be more clear to users in next release.
    b. yeah
    c. It still compiles.

The scripts will be cleaned up more once pts-core is settled... However, patches are always welcome if others wish to clean them up too.

For all those interested, please check out the latest git and report back as there should be improved hardware and software detection (including distro name). Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Some additional aspects (tested with current git snapshot):

a) You now require /usr/bin/time, that's ok, but then tell the ppl to install it if not present,

b) nexuiz install requires unzip, thats also not default

c) errors shown when compiling php: bison flex lemon are misssing, don't know if the compile really finishes or not, do you check errorlevel?

(a+b are usally installed on ubuntu - a because of dash as sh, bash uses time builtin).

A general problem is when you use the test in live mode: you run out of ram because yo do absolutely no cleanup. If you compiled a requirement then delete the sources (you can use --prefix=... and then make install), or delete what you compiled after you benched it. No need to keep those files.
    Last edited by Kano; 04 April 2008, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X