No announcement yet.

Phoronix Test Suite Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried it a few times, the results didn't save for a few results due to not being able to fully regenerate the scripts... might be a good idea to add a test that checks for the dependencies of the build tests, especially since each system has different packages and it will effect the accuracy of the results... just try compiling php when you don't have bison installed, and you'll see what i mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      • How are you planning to deal with root-specific tasks such as hdparm and detailed information on lspci?
      • What other graphics applications do you plan to support?
      • Do you envision some sort of dedicated 3D "demo" application to be used specifically with the suite to not depend on other external apps?
      !
      - Using gksu/kdesu I think is how we'll handle it.

- Tons of other graphics applications... Laminar Research should be contributing a profile for X-Plane plus we'll be making profiles or the developers themselves for practically every other benchmark-capable Linux graphics app out there.

- Can you elaborate on your third point?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        - Using gksu/kdesu I think is how we'll handle it.

- Tons of other graphics applications... Laminar Research should be contributing a profile for X-Plane plus we'll be making profiles or the developers themselves for practically every other benchmark-capable Linux graphics app out there.

- Can you elaborate on your third point?
        I think he means something like 3DMark. Instead of just having a bunch of in game time demos have a separate dedicated synthetic demo that tests specific graphical capabilities. Depending on in-game time demos implies a mixed result (CPU + GPU) which will not give an accurate picture of pure graphics performance. One needs to only look at the results on the PTS (C2Ds vs. X2s). Have a more GPU bound test.

Originally posted by SavageX View Post
        Actually for the third point ("3D 'demo' application") I think one could take Nexuiz, strip out the not-so-demanding levels (leaving the levels with rain, reflective/refractive water, terrain etc. etc.) and unused music and come up with a much slimmer minimal version tailored towards torturing graphics card.
        Sothing like that.
        Last edited by Melcar; 03 April 2008, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Actually for the third point ("3D 'demo' application") I think one could take Nexuiz, strip out the not-so-demanding levels (leaving the levels with rain, reflective/refractive water, terrain etc. etc.) and unused music and come up with a much slimmer minimal version tailored towards torturing graphics card.

Comment

Question. What's stopping the user from manually altering his/her results and then submitting that altered file to the PTS boards?

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              Question. What's stopping the user from manually altering his/her results and then submitting that altered file to the PTS boards?
              Nothing, just their own good will. With an open-source solution, that's a challenge to address and is why the results on PTS Global aren't displayed on the main page.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Great new folks!

it looks like Lightsmark will be ported to Linux (very soon, according to the developer) and integrated with PTS.

Michael Larabel

Comment

i was wondering if some gentooer that has created an ebuild for the suite or should i start creating one in my spare time?!

Comment

Doesn't the Specviewperf (I forget the proper name) do a good test? Michael is already familiar with it too.

Comment

Vadi:

SPECViewPerf will have a profile soon... It's only issue is requiring csh and freeglut to build. To build freeglut you need a number of additional dependencies, so its quite a bit of scripting to get it all running within the PTS environment. However, for this profile it may need to rely upon the distribution's packaging system for now.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X