Running Benchmarks On Other New Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I've already said it; I will not do such manual tests that are prone to inaccuracies, do not leverage PTS features, and are extremely time consuming. I already don't have enough time in a day for completing all of my work let alone any non-work enjoyment. Thus non-automated tests are ruled out especially when many of the people reading the results are AdBlockers, etc.

OK I get, its not about "I can't technically do it" - it's "I don't have time for it".
    Take additional members from community to be editors, someone may as well do those tests him/herself.

Frankly, AdBlockers argument is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with content of your web site. I personally made donations and I don't even have adblock. I have script blocker, but i don't use it on your page. Frankly I used it couple of times, when you had some flash advertising that was hanging Firefox! But then again, I disabled it. No matter. I personally want those tests I mentioned before. I pretty much only pay attention to Unigine tests if you mix them in. The rest comes as bonus material. But i don't take them too seriously, as I know their performance may not be relevant for games I will or want to play.

I understand your frustration with adblockers and i feel personally sad about you moving on with Photonix. Hope someone will do your job.

Comment

and while i am at it

I am not pushing my own agenda here. Well, in a sense I do, but it's not the point. I am saying what i think other people want too. I may be a little psychologist myself like that. Peops, please confirm in your message if you agree with me.

I have interests of YOUR website in my mind. it's one of 3 pages i wist many times a day, even from work.(which i am not allowed, BTW) I want it to continue that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I've already said it; I will not do such manual tests that are prone to inaccuracies, do not leverage PTS features, and are extremely time consuming. I already don't have enough time in a day for completing all of my work let alone any non-work enjoyment. Thus non-automated tests are ruled out especially when many of the people reading the results are AdBlockers, etc.
        Then you have failed miserably at your job. Your automated tests are usually full of bugs as well. No two computers are identical and as such will never have identical results, hell, run to run the same machine can have very different results hence why you don't run the tests once for a real review to average out the numbers.

Perhaps if instead of spending all of that time on searching your own site for random articles to link back to yourself for you would have the time to do the real reviews.

And don't give us that copout about Source games being CPU limited, they are no more CPU limited then half of the OSS games you try to pass off as review samples, the main difference bing that people actually play Source games so those numbers are actually relevant compared to OpenArena. On it's worst day this year there where still more people playing CounterStrike 1.6 then have ever played any of the OSS games.

Comment

keep the good work michael and don't listen to the forum whiners, if they want it so badly they can make a profile and contribute it to PTS and i agree is a perfect valid point to not run manual tests.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            I can install your tests and do them myself. But it's not why i come to your site.
            I am lazy and i like to be spoon fed. And I come to your site to determine if I can or should buy new hardware I don't have. So i have purpose. I want to know what to buy for games i want to play. And as majority here, I want to buy PC for MetroLL and not for some Quake3 clone.(don't get me wrong they are fine, but i played them a lot, i just have no interest anymore)
            With that in mind, you are visiting this website for the wrong reasons. Phoronix isn't and never has been a hardware recommendation website, nor is it a hardware enthusiast's website, nor is it a gamer's website. The website largely focuses on open source (mainly linux) news and progress within the open source community. For hardware related tests, its all about how far drivers have progressed in terms of features, stability, performance, and efficiency. The tests are also meant to show how linux is doing compared to other OSes. Why else do you think Michael still writes about hardware released over 10 years ago? That news IS relevant, because not everybody buys the latest and greatest and its nice to know if people can put new use to their retired systems. Michael might not use tests that resemble modern day desires, but they do very effectively show progress between platforms and drivers. Writing articles about games you prefer is not any more or less relevant to the purpose of tests posted on this website - they just simply give out more meaningful numbers.

What I really don't understand, though, is if you think it's so easy to just download PTS and run the tests yourself, why is it any harder for you to run benchmarks of the games you care about on your own time? Keep in mind too, the nvidia drivers overall perform on par with Windows. Chances are, if there's a game you want to play that runs natively on Linux as well as Windows, you can get your answer by looking at Windows tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Then you have failed miserably at your job. Your automated tests are usually full of bugs as well. No two computers are identical and as such will never have identical results, hell, run to run the same machine can have very different results hence why you don't run the tests once for a real review to average out the numbers.
              Now now. The tests are run _at least_ 3 times, and only if the standard deviation is not out of acceptable levels. In other cases, you can have some tests run 5 or more times...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                With that in mind, you are visiting this website for the wrong reasons. Phoronix isn't and never has been a hardware recommendation website, nor is it a hardware enthusiast's website, nor is it a gamer's website. The website largely focuses on open source (mainly linux) news and progress within the open source community. For hardware related tests, its all about how far drivers have progressed in terms of features, stability, performance, and efficiency. The tests are also meant to show how linux is doing compared to other OSes. Why else do you think Michael still writes about hardware released over 10 years ago? That news IS relevant, because not everybody buys the latest and greatest and its nice to know if people can put new use to their retired systems. Michael might not use tests that resemble modern day desires, but they do very effectively show progress between platforms and drivers. Writing articles about games you prefer is not any more or less relevant to the purpose of tests posted on this website - they just simply give out more meaningful numbers.

What I really don't understand, though, is if you think it's so easy to just download PTS and run the tests yourself, why is it any harder for you to run benchmarks of the games you care about on your own time? Keep in mind too, the nvidia drivers overall perform on par with Windows. Chances are, if there's a game you want to play that runs natively on Linux as well as Windows, you can get your answer by looking at Windows tests.
                Wrong, it is a hardware review site doing what all hardware review sites do when they don't have any hardware left to review...

And that is regurgitate tech news. Theres nothing in any of Larabel's "news" articles that is directly his own research or work outside of drivel about a new version of PTS. Everything else can be found from a dozen other sites. Thus the only reason anyone ever comes here for is to look for hardware reviews.

Comment

I work seven days per week, about 100 hours per week

That's crap. If you really are putting in that much effort you're doing it wrong and your work suffers. I have a dislike of the grammar in the "articles", put being burnt out may be the source of my disgust of the content after the headlines. In addition, beneath the graphs in the reviews is a total waste of time to read. For a time after finding this site I would read that information, but it said nothing that wasn't in the graphic. l quickly changed to just reading the graphs as I skimmed along and now I just visit the site to use the site as a news aggregator. Currently I only click articles to get links, but am frustrated by the constant lack of relevant links and constant self promotion with the links to "my previous article." Don't bombard the reader with that spam. I know there's related links at the bottom of the page and I know how to search for more information. I am almost at the point I don't click any of the articles and instead just google the headline to get the story.

The one thing I think you do well is gather and serve information and news relevant to my interests. Not any of the original content, I wish most of that could be blocked. I tried looking for alternates but haven't found one I like yet.

I don't want you to think I just some troll, I am a customer that is feed up and looking to fire my service provider, you, if there are not improvements. This is your chance to sell me, keep me from hiring someone else. I have paid for open source development and media content I could get for free in the past from other companies. If you want me to pay you, or not outright leave, make changes. It's quality over quantity. The value of labour is subjective and the value of your product is not dependent on or even linked to the raw labour you are spewing out.

Your first order of business should be to hire writers or outsource content while you take a vacation. Even after you return your productivity, and more so quality, will still be impaired as it will take some time for you to recuperate to your best. Even if you have to stop writing and just let automated scripts add headlines, that's good too.

For years, the 40-hour work week was recognized as the sweet spot for workplace productivity and profits, a system, which AlterNet's Sara Robinson po

Decades of research supports the 40-hour workweek and shows that working longer can lead to serious negative effects on health, family life, and productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

The title tag in the HTML header for the phoronix.com landing page says: "[Phoronix] Linux Hardware Reviews, Benchmarking, & Gaming"

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                      Wrong, it is a hardware review site doing what all hardware review sites do when they don't have any hardware left to review...

And that is regurgitate tech news. Theres nothing in any of Larabel's "news" articles that is directly his own research or work outside of drivel about a new version of PTS. Everything else can be found from a dozen other sites. Thus the only reason anyone ever comes here for is to look for hardware reviews.
                      Well, news reporting is by definition reporting something that someone else is doing. Original research is not news reporting.

Comment

Working...
                      X