Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Min / Max FPS Comes To Test Results

Phoronix: Min / Max FPS Comes To Test Results

With Phoronix Test Suite 4.8 "Sokndal", the minimum and maximum performance results are now being commonly displayed along side the rest of the results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, IMHO it would be better to put min/max framerates on their own bar, because the point of graphs is to quickly compare between different contenders. If you have to read the text for every bar, what's the point of having a graph? You could just use a table...

Comment

Measuring frame latency is more useful than measuring frames per second.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        Michael, IMHO it would be better to put min/max framerates on their own bar, because the point of graphs is to quickly compare between different contenders. If you have to read the text for every bar, what's the point of having a graph? You could just use a table...
        I totally agree. What I would recommend is for each bar to consist of three colors: one up to the min, one up to the average, and one up to the maximum. So it would look something like this:
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzed072iitn212v/bargraphs.png

Comment

One question regarding PTS ... are you measuring frame time and then converting it to FPS or are you relying on some output of the program (which may be only updated every second)?

Anyway, I think the best would be some sort of scatter plot where you can then overlay lines like average/median or percentile. I think that would be really great output as it is much more accurate and still gives a good quick-look impression with the average line. The reason I ask for this is that there might be one or two slow or fast frames eg. right after a level loads which totally botches up the min/max values.

Anyway, kudos for the great work

Edit: decoupled two thoughts (the "do you get frame times or fps" and "make a scatter plot")
          Last edited by YoungManKlaus; 17 June 2013, 03:07 AM.

Comment

This looks great, I'm looking forward to seeing it in benchmarks!

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
              One question regarding PTS ... are you measuring frame time and then converting it to FPS or are you relying on some output of the program (which may be only updated every second)?
              The program's own output.

Comment

The posibility to make a Box whisker Plot with the data pts records would be nice and a way more accurate display the data. Min and Max frame say les than nothing about the Video output ( they can ocure once in a run with half the value or duble the value of the average reading but no one would recognise them, with median and the 25/75% percentile and may be whiskers and ausreisser would display the values better). if you can't implement such a calculation yourselve you can find such an implementation in oss statistical tools like R and others.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  The program's own output.
                  So I guess it varies and some programs will just give you a sort of end result while others will give you a fps number every [whatever], right?

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
                    So I guess it varies and some programs will just give you a sort of end result while others will give you a fps number every [whatever], right?
                    Yes, that makes the min arbitrary, to some extent, though useful to display. I think, more meaningful than min/max, would be to provide the standard deviation of frame rates, which gives an idea of the variability around the average. You'd like that number to be stable, meaning the average much larger than the standard deviation.

Comment

Working...
                    X