Several issues with phoronix test suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several issues with phoronix test suite

Hi, I used the test suite some time ago to compare some hardware, and wanted to do the same again now, but it seems things aren't working for me as well now as they did.

First off it decided to force remove a crap load of packages when it tried to install a few dependencies without telling me.

Second a couple of the files the universe-x group wanted to download failed to verify with the listed MD5SUM, some failed completely, while some took 2-3 tries, by the time it tried to download urbanterror for the fourth time, and padman for the second, I just decided to kill it, and try another suite of tests.

Third, the mafft computational test died with glibc detected invalid pointer free()s, and crafty completely failed to download.

If it helps, this is the openbenchmarking results for the computational run:
    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

That said, I'm really looking for a way to compare the difference made by upgrading my Q6600 to a QX6800, if theres a good over all test I can run to compare the two configs, that would be great.

Originally posted by Tomasu View Post
    Hi, I used the test suite some time ago to compare some hardware, and wanted to do the same again now, but it seems things aren't working for me as well now as they did.

First off it decided to force remove a crap load of packages when it tried to install a few dependencies without telling me.

Second a couple of the files the universe-x group wanted to download failed to verify with the listed MD5SUM, some failed completely, while some took 2-3 tries, by the time it tried to download urbanterror for the fourth time, and padman for the second, I just decided to kill it, and try another suite of tests.

Third, the mafft computational test died with glibc detected invalid pointer free()s, and crafty completely failed to download.

If it helps, this is the openbenchmarking results for the computational run:
    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

That said, I'm really looking for a way to compare the difference made by upgrading my Q6600 to a QX6800, if theres a good over all test I can run to compare the two configs, that would be great.
    Hi

- Regarding the removal of packages, that would all be whatever your package management system is doing. PTS just tells the distribution's package management system the packages it needs for the given tests, not to uninstall anything.
    - MD5 failures occur when the hosting mirrors remove the files or change them otherwise and haven't yet been updated in the test profiles to reflect new mirrors.
    - Report the MAFFT problem upstream to that project.

Some of my favorite CPU tests are: povray c-ray openssl build-linux-kernel mafft x264 etc.... basically look at some of the other CPU tests or Phoronix CPU articles.

-- Michael
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Hi

- Regarding the removal of packages, that would all be whatever your package management system is doing. PTS just tells the distribution's package management system the packages it needs for the given tests, not to uninstall anything.
      - MD5 failures occur when the hosting mirrors remove the files or change them otherwise and haven't yet been updated in the test profiles to reflect new mirrors.
      - Report the MAFFT problem upstream to that project.

Some of my favorite CPU tests are: povray c-ray openssl build-linux-kernel mafft x264 etc.... basically look at some of the other CPU tests or Phoronix CPU articles.

-- Michael
      Hi,

About the uninstalling, it seems you're telling aptitude to /force/ install your packages, which can and will remove any conflicting packages if you unconditionally select the first option aptitude returns when it gets a little confused (it will provide alternatives if you don't like what it wants to do). It went and purged my KDE install. Luckilly I wasn't using that particular install of KDE, as I upgraded to 4.6 on that machine via kdesrc-build a while ago.

And mafft, maybe the test should be disabled till its fixed? It's pretty much useless as it is and generates a bunch of potentially scary (to end users) error messages. That and the fact that it has that bug, leads me to think it may have more, and ones that may make it less than useful as a benchmark of any kind.

Comment

Got back to trying to benchmark this system, and it seems another test is also broken, the kernel compile.

Started Run 1 @ 23:54:18
        The test exited with a non-zero exit status.
        Running Interim-Test Script @ 00:05:28
        Started Run 2 @ 00:05:33
        Running Interim-Test Script @ 00:16:29
        Started Run 3 @ 00:16:34
        Running Post-Test Script @ 00:27:36
        I wasn't able to find any place it might have saved some log files for the test runs, so I'm posting here in able to figure out what went wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomasu View Post
          Got back to trying to benchmark this system, and it seems another test is also broken, the kernel compile.

I wasn't able to find any place it might have saved some log files for the test runs, so I'm posting here in able to figure out what went wrong.
          That should say "I wasn't able to find any place it might have saved some log files for the test runs, so I'm posting here in order to help me figure out what went wrong".

Comment

Any luck with your error? I know it's been a while, but I hope you found a solution. I have the same error with the apache test on CentOS, but it works fine on Ubuntu. All the other tests I've tried seem to work, as well.

Code:
            Apache Benchmark:
            pts/apache-1.3.0
            Test 1 of 1
            Expected Trial Run Count: 3
            Running Pre-Test Script @ 11:36:59
            Started Run 1 @ 11:37:04
            Started Run 2 @ 11:37:06
            Started Run 3 @ 11:37:09
            Running Post-Test Script @ 11:37:09

Test Results:

Average: 0 Requests Per Second
            This test failed to run properly.
            How does one debug this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by abcd View Post
              Any luck with your error? I know it's been a while, but I hope you found a solution. I have the same error with the apache test on CentOS, but it works fine on Ubuntu. All the other tests I've tried seem to work, as well.

Code:
              Apache Benchmark:
              pts/apache-1.3.0
              Test 1 of 1
              Expected Trial Run Count: 3
              Running Pre-Test Script @ 11:36:59
              Started Run 1 @ 11:37:04
              Started Run 2 @ 11:37:06
              Started Run 3 @ 11:37:09
              Running Post-Test Script @ 11:37:09

Test Results:

Average: 0 Requests Per Second
              This test failed to run properly.
              How does one debug this issue?
              No sorry, I haven't tried fixing the bugs in the phoronix test suite. Maybe it'll all "just work" some day.

Comment

it seems another test is also broken

Comment

In my case, it seems the pts/apache test didn't install properly. The installer didn't report any error, but looking in the /home/USER/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/pts/apache-1.3.0/install.log file, I discovered that the installation failed. The last line in the log file is this:
                  Code:
                  /home/USER/.phoronix-test-suite/test-profiles/pts/apache-1.3.0/install.sh: line 17: patch: command not found
                  I ran
                  Code:
                  yum install patch
                  then I deleted the /home/USER/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/pts/apache-1.3.0/ directory and installed the test again. The tests ran fine after that.

Comment

Working...
                  X