X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

use cases

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah, UI design is the part I hate the most and am the worst at... So any specific items for improvement are much appreciated. It's easy to change the UI when I know what to change.
    Think of pages as use cases. Here are some conceivable, where components is system software + system hardware and benchmarks are the results:

1) Browse all components at will
    2) Browse all benchmarks results at will
    3) Browse benchmarks for 1 component
    4) Browse component for 1 benchmark
    5) Browse benchmarks for 2+ component using constraints
    6) Browse component for 2+ benchmarks using constraints

For example, if I want to see the results for 7 zip only. The resulting page gives me

1) A long list of included submissions. The information is relevant but should be way down on the result page.

2) SYSTEM which is a nice scrollable description of the systems including 7zip benchmark.

3) "Overview" which is a huge table containing very little information. Just which other benchmarks are included by the current systems

4) A huge list of graphs with my 7zip results somewhere, deeply embedded among other graphs I didn't ask for. Take the 7zip graph and present that first on the page!!!

This approach could be used for the other use cases as well, present what is asked for at the very top. Other information can be included in other pages, expandable folders etc, but still, what the user asks for should always be presented first.

Comment

These 2 new features are much appreciated. They're starting to show some interesting stuff (like that Seagate ST9250410ASG drive for ~50$ ).

Comment

Thanks.

Yeah, UI design is the part I hate the most and am the worst at... So any specific items for improvement are much appreciated. It's easy to change the UI when I know what to change.
        @Michael

the concept of making it more usable (easy to use) is not so hard, just think you are making it as easy that even your kids or folks can get started.

Imagine you're not familiar with the tech part and is the first time you're going to use it

just take a hint from google (minimalistic), apple (good design) and ubuntu (the mid point)

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
          @Michael

the concept of making it more usable (easy to use) is not so hard, just think you are making it as easy that even your kids or folks can get started.

Imagine you're not familiar with the tech part and is the first time you're going to use it

just take a hint from google (minimalistic), apple (good design) and ubuntu (the mid point)
          Right, I am a big fan of minimal/simplistic designs and such, as most of you probably already knew or can easily tell, but when it comes to the actual interface and colors and such is where I have the biggest challenge pulling everything together since that's not my area of expertise (and not doing a whole lot of HTML design stuff in years). There's a small queue of features already in fact ready for OpenBenchmarking.org but still trying to decide how to expose them all without putting a load of check boxes, input fields, etc all over the pages.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hardware lists should now be larger after some tweaks were made.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Apple reports MacBook Air to the sysfs interface as the motherboard string.
              See, that's the problem right there. You can't pass the blame on to others and expect a user, looking for info on the Macbook Air, to see it listed as a motherboard and think "Wait, what? The Air is a motherboard?? Oh wait... that's right, it's probably just the sysfs interface being fed with a bogus motherboard string.". What will actually happen is this: "Wait, what? The Air is a motherboard?? What a huge FAIL! Screw this... I'm going back to real tech sites". You need some kind of filtering and correction tables for these kind of situations, otherwise it will look like a very unprofessional and unfinished site. You want a good site? Give the user what he wants instead of excuses.

Along the top; 'Hardware Index' link
              Which is so minuscule that it's hard to see. Also, the fact that it's separated from where all the searching and results action is going on doesn't help.

Comment

Working...
              X