Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What OpenBenchmarking.org Is About

Phoronix: What OpenBenchmarking.org Is About

February has finally arrived. Later this month Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 "Iveland" and OpenBenchmarking.org will be officially unveiled from the Southern California Linux Expo during the talk entitled "Making Better Linux Hardware Choices" by myself and Matthew Tippett, the former ATI/AMD Linux Core Engineering Manager. Before the California Linux event, there may also be a public demonstration in Munich of this major Linux testing/benchmarking breakthrough. While the Phoronix Test Suite 3.0-Iveland software can currently be downloaded as beta, OpenBenchmarking.org is not yet publicly available nor have we said much about the project. What has been said though is that it will cause Linux benchmarking to change, it will likely cause a greater impact than Phoronix.com, may result in my editorial departure from Phoronix, and will change the way that you find Linux compatible hardware. Here though is a primer of some of what you can expect out of OpenBenchmarking.org when it becomes available late in the month.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I would have known before, that my tests end up on a screenshot, i wouldnt have called them blub

Apropos, viewing the test results isnt working with Google Chrome, Konqueror and rekonq. It only works with Firefox.

Comment

Nice

it seems a nice project.
      I hope that with time it'll gather so many data as to become the hub for benchmarking and HW DB in *NIX

I just wonder... is there (or is it a w.i.p.) any .iso image of a PTS3 live CD to be put in a USB key and have a full run of PTS 3 without having to install all that ultra bloated suite?
      That way anyone would be happy to contribute with a light heart: insert the usb dongle, let it run for one night, then it automatically uploads results to openbenchmarking.org and you just restart your PC pulling out the usb key....

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
        it seems a nice project.
        I hope that with time it'll gather so many data as to become the hub for benchmarking and HW DB in *NIX

I just wonder... is there (or is it a w.i.p.) any .iso image of a PTS3 live CD to be put in a USB key and have a full run of PTS 3 without having to install all that ultra bloated suite?
        That way anyone would be happy to contribute with a light heart: insert the usb dongle, let it run for one night, then it automatically uploads results to openbenchmarking.org and you just restart your PC pulling out the usb key....
        I agree, a live .iso for CD/USB, but drivers will be required for the setup? thats harder.

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
          I agree, a live .iso for CD/USB, but drivers will be required for the setup? thats harder.
          I guess one should rely on the already installed drivers.
          The PTS should skip the tests not complaint with those drivers...
          User should be responsible for setting up a proper working system
          In the end the purpose should be to test *that* specific rig/sw, not running all tests...

no wait... you're right... mmmmm I guess the live CD should contain the drivers (stable + last git? at least for intel, amd and nvidia) and the user should setup a little bit everything before running the benchmarking stuff...
          Problem is it cannot contain the binary blobs for licensing reasons....
          mmm tricky issue... any idea?

Plus... now I also wonder: is running the PTS from a liveCD preventing some tests (I'm thinking of disc tests etc....)

Michael?

Comment

There is PTS Desktop Live for those that don't know. However, I doubt I'll have the time (there's only so much time in the day to write PTS3, write OpenBenchmarking.org, write all of the Phoronix content, and then work on my other ventures too...) for a new version to be timed with PTS 3.0. There also is not the GTK2 GUI in 3.0-Iveland so the new OS may be delayed to PTS 3.2, but I certainly have it being planned.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by d1saster View Post
              Apropos, viewing the test results isnt working with Google Chrome, Konqueror and rekonq. It only works with Firefox.
              OpenBenchmarking.org should work for Google Chrome and I think Konqueror too (I imagine rekonq too but that's untested). Chrome / Konqueror don't work with the local PTS Results Viewer due to the WebKit engine not supporting the XSL style-sheets correctly.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Oh yes, mine was just a suggestion.
                I mean, if there was such a method like literally plug & play... then unplug & forget, I guess that thousands of people would be willing to make a full PTS run and upload the results on OB.org

Me, I'm among those scared of having to install a lot of stuff (and dependencies) in my production machine just to run benchmarks ...

I hope that with time, you'll be able to prepare such an option.
                In the meanwhile kudos for your work

Ciao

Comment

Me, I'm among those scared of having to install a lot of stuff (and dependencies) in my production machine just to run benchmarks ...

I hope that with time, you'll be able to prepare such an option.
                  In the meanwhile kudos for your work

Ciao

One thing that you can actually do in your production environment without wreaking havoc (it would just require the installation of the php5-cli package) would be to just run the phoronix-test-suite with like 'phoronix-test-suite system-info' command or anything trivial while enabling the 'anonymous software / hardware reporting' That way at least to OpenBenchmarking.org during that one-time quick run it will at least report your hardware / drivers from your working configuration so that information can help others... Depending upon how OpenBenchmarking.org takes off, I may end up shipping an openbenchmarking program that effectively does that and is just used for the anonymous software/hardware reporting.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Oh yes, mine was just a suggestion.
                    The dependencies are one item, but the actual builds from the benchmark and so on are not spread around the system. Blow away ~/.phoronix-test-suite and you don't have any PTS items around.

The dependencies are not too difficult to handle, depending on the system state. If your system is up to date, it will be easy diff the package listing and remove the newer packages. If your system is older, you will probably have some packages updated. That's where your sysadmin may have reasons for not updating, or you may just update anyway .

Comment

Working...
                    X