Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy PTS installation/access for the command-line shy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Easy PTS installation/access for the command-line shy?

    Both PTS and PHP-GTK packages in Ubuntu's repository for easy PTS GUI testing goodness. Or, both packages hosted on this site without requiring going to another website and compiling something from source.

    What an awesome thought, no?? Easy and quick PTS access for all, including my friends who are command-line shy, and users like me who don't care to waste my time compiling! Compile once for everyone, and let those who want to see the code for themselves compile again. ^^

    Would certainly help increase the number of users of PTS and test result submissions.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    Both PTS and PHP-GTK packages in Ubuntu's repository for easy PTS GUI testing goodness. Or, both packages hosted on this site without requiring going to another website and compiling something from source.

    What an awesome thought, no?? Easy and quick PTS access for all, including my friends who are command-line shy, and users like me who don't care to waste my time compiling! Compile once for everyone, and let those who want to see the code for themselves compile again. ^^

    Would certainly help increase the number of users of PTS and test result submissions.
    PTS itself doesn't need to be compiled, it's PHP.

    PHP-GTK is already available at http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/m....1-0_amd64.deb
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      And if you need it to be any easier, just use PTS Desktop Live.

      http://www.pts-desktop-live.com/
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michael View Post
        PTS itself doesn't need to be compiled, it's PHP.

        PHP-GTK is already available at http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/m....1-0_amd64.deb
        Thanks, but might I suggest you place that in your download section so that users will see and can download easily the complete two packages required for the PTS GUI? I have no idea how you even got to that "misc" download section, and if I can't find it, chances are others can't very easily either. Unless I'm blind, which I don't think I am. ^^

        That would make it a lot more friendly for new Linux users.

        The live OS image is nice and has its uses of course, but obviously downloading a whole OS shouldn't be needed for machines with existing ones.

        Oh, and of course a non-DEB normal binary package might be nice as well for those without a DEB package manager. *grumbles about a lack of Linux packaging standards* ^^

        Comment


        • #5
          Oh, you do have a generic package, just not for the unstable build. I guess I am blind, at least with that issue.

          Thanks again for your time responding. ^^

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            Thanks, but might I suggest you place that in your download section so that users will see and can download easily the complete two packages required for the PTS GUI? I have no idea how you even got to that "misc" download section, and if I can't find it, chances are others can't very easily either. Unless I'm blind, which I don't think I am. ^^
            I believe I mention it in the HTML documentation.

            Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            Oh, and of course a non-DEB normal binary package might be nice as well for those without a DEB package manager. *grumbles about a lack of Linux packaging standards* ^^
            There is one, there's always been one. Just download the .tar.gz package and you are good to go as long as you have PHP on the system.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
              Oh, you do have a generic package, just not for the unstable build. I guess I am blind, at least with that issue.
              There's the generic package for 2.6.0a1. Also if you go to Phorogit.com there is a .tar.gz of the Git snapshot that's always live.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                OK, just to test that method I installed PTS 2.4 deb and the 2.0 php-gtk deb and get

                Code:
                $ phoronix-test-suite gui
                
                The PHP GTK module must be loaded for the GUI.
                This module can be found @ http://gtk.php.net/
                When I use the Gnome launcher, for some reason even though it's the same command it opens up Chrome, but I get the same error: "The graphical user interface for the Phoronix Test Suite failed to load. This is generally caused when the PHP GTK module is missing. Make sure that you have PHP GTK installed before proceeding or use the command-line version of the phoronix-test-suite. For more information, read the included Phoronix Test Suite documentation or visit Phoronix-Test-Suite.com. For technical support, visit the Phoronix Forums."

                Though for some reason it is launching with Chrome instead of Firefox, even though I have Firefox set as my "preferred application".

                Will dig into it more later when I have the time...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Oh yeah, add extension=php_gtk2.so to your /etc/php5/cli/php.ini file. That's one thing the Deb didn't do.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Unusable on Ubuntu i386?

                    I have no clue why I even bother to post this for a piece of software that is "nice to have" - but not essential by any stretch of the imagination - after having wasted so much time already. But here is my evening's fun with Phoronix....

                    The system in question is an Intel Core Duo machine (not Core 2 Duo), so it does not have the x64 extensions:

                    => Live CD is useless, as no i386 version is available

                    So I downloaded the .deb package for Ubuntu and installed it on Ubuntu Jaunty i386 version. OK. Launcher is added to the Gnome menu, but does nothing. Most users just blacklist Phoronix in their minds at this point and uninstall the thing. I started from the command line with the gui option and got the complaint that PHP-GTK is missing. This lead me here.

                    Thanks for the link to the x64 deb-file, I guess. No i386 binary, again.

                    I went ahead to download the source for php-gtk, which just lead into dependency hell. I had to install about a dozen additional package by interpreting the crpytic messages from that packages configure script.

                    At the end, all in vain. Obviously, the blooming php-gtk package does not currently compile on Debian derivates at all, you get a "LTOPTIONS_VERSION is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd" message and some similar ones, followed by a SYNTAX ERROR in line 12673 message - and that's it. No make file.

                    Can anyone point me to a i386 .deb for php-gtk - or is it time for me to blacklist Phoronix in my mind, too?

                    BTW: why bother with an Ubuntu .deb for the Phoronix test suite at all, if the package cannot satisfy it's dependencies anyway?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X