Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Days And There's A New PTS Lenvik Beta

Phoronix: Four Days And There's A New PTS Lenvik Beta

I had intended for Phoronix Test Suite 2.4 Beta 2 to be the last development build for this release codenamed Lenvik, but things have changed. After continuing to do intensive, last minute work on Phoronix Test Suite 2.4 since the Lenvik Beta 2 release four days ago, a third beta has been warranted. Phoronix Test Suite 2.4 Beta 3 brings more *BSD operating system improvements, Phodevi sensor improvements, faster reading of the sysfs interface through Phodevi, faster and smarter reference system comparisons, and the networking code has been rewritten...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm :/

Whats the idea behind pre-announcing your beta-releases? Or posting news like "soon we will have Core3i benchmarks", or telling the people over and over again you are working on PTS for Windows.

Please stop the news-flood, if there is no news, there is none.

lg Clemens

PS: Don't get me wrong, I really like phoronix.
    Thanks a lot for doing all this

Comment

pre-announcing? It is no pre-announcement. The beta is available now.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So, I've got a random PTS question/enhancement request...

I was attempting to use it on my desktop the other day and ran into a common issue with my internet connection. Quite often on large downloads, the download will stall and eventually fail. If I just use the command-line (e.g. 'phoronix-test-suite install mesa'), it might get halfway through the first download, fail, and then I have to try again. The old networking code (curl is what ps said was running) would then restart the download from byte 0.

After having to restart the urbanterror download the 3rd/4th time, I got impatient and dug through the test-resources/urbanterror/download.xml file and manually used 'wget -c' to download the file(s) into the right directory and then was able to proceed with the install normally.

Does the new networking code replace the curl/wget code completely, or is wget/curl still used with a new fallback in the case that curl/wget aren't available? If wget's still there, might it be possible to add some option to resume an interrupted download on OSes that support it?

If not, it might be nice to be able to specify a $DOWNLOAD_CACHE variable somewhere which would allow me to just point PTS to a directory which contains all of the pre-downloaded files (I use PTS on several systems for driver/functionality testing). Additionally, a command-line option to just download the test files would be nice (or just an option to spit out the download URLs instead of downloading/installing them).

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          So, I've got a random PTS question/enhancement request...

I was attempting to use it on my desktop the other day and ran into a common issue with my internet connection. Quite often on large downloads, the download will stall and eventually fail. If I just use the command-line (e.g. 'phoronix-test-suite install mesa'), it might get halfway through the first download, fail, and then I have to try again. The old networking code (curl is what ps said was running) would then restart the download from byte 0.

After having to restart the urbanterror download the 3rd/4th time, I got impatient and dug through the test-resources/urbanterror/download.xml file and manually used 'wget -c' to download the file(s) into the right directory and then was able to proceed with the install normally.

Does the new networking code replace the curl/wget code completely, or is wget/curl still used with a new fallback in the case that curl/wget aren't available? If wget's still there, might it be possible to add some option to resume an interrupted download on OSes that support it?

If not, it might be nice to be able to specify a $DOWNLOAD_CACHE variable somewhere which would allow me to just point PTS to a directory which contains all of the pre-downloaded files (I use PTS on several systems for driver/functionality testing). Additionally, a command-line option to just download the test files would be nice (or just an option to spit out the download URLs instead of downloading/installing them).
          Yes, the new networking code no longer calls wget/curl externally. However, I can add in support for resuming downloads into the new pts-core downloading code... Not sure if I will have time to do that over the next few days or how quickly it will go, but I will work on it.

You can already drop your files into ~/.phoronix-test-suite/download-cache/ and you can already use the PTS_DOWNLOAD_CACHE environmental variable for specifying other directories of download files.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I was mostly just pointing out the resume option, just in case you hadn't thought of it before. I spent a bit of time last night configuring a replacement router and I'm hoping that fixes up my download/upload issues. It's kinda sad really, 25mbit down/15 up, and I still needed to babysit my downloads to make sure they finish.

Don't rush the resume support if you're busy on other stuff. I can get by on the current system for now, especially if the download cache is there already (thanks for letting me know about that).

Comment

Working...
            X