X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
    yea, this is due to GCC being a worse optimizing compiler compared to VC++. I'll bet the drivers are affected by this as well. Also, firefox+Wine used to be faster than native linux firefox. don't know if that's still the case
    Sadly it still remains true.

Leave a comment:

• garytr24
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    I'm somewhat interested to see how the Nvidia propietary drivers score on Win7 vs. Linux. The recent interview suggested that they share 90+% of their code between platforms, and I'd love to see how well that actually is working for Nvidia with respect to cross-platform performance (and if there's any inherent bottlenecks in X or Windows).

I've seen Wine benchmarks in the past that suggest that Wine+Linux can actually run windows applications faster than windows itself (I believe it was some of Anandtech's recent coverage, might've been TechReport). I could see using PTS to comparatively benchmark a few windows game demos against Wine+Demos in PTS (or full versions of the game if there's legal issues running benchmarks on demo versions of said games).
    yea, this is due to GCC being a worse optimizing compiler compared to VC++. I'll bet the drivers are affected by this as well. Also, firefox+Wine used to be faster than native linux firefox. don't know if that's still the case

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    what a shit kde4 theme.
    lol

Leave a comment:

• Setlec
    replied
    OH my Gosh! Let's see how win 7 will badly do on PTS against linux performance.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    I'm somewhat interested to see how the Nvidia propietary drivers score on Win7 vs. Linux. The recent interview suggested that they share 90+% of their code between platforms, and I'd love to see how well that actually is working for Nvidia with respect to cross-platform performance (and if there's any inherent bottlenecks in X or Windows).

I've seen Wine benchmarks in the past that suggest that Wine+Linux can actually run windows applications faster than windows itself (I believe it was some of Anandtech's recent coverage, might've been TechReport). I could see using PTS to comparatively benchmark a few windows game demos against Wine+Demos in PTS (or full versions of the game if there's legal issues running benchmarks on demo versions of said games).
    Last edited by Veerappan; 05 November 2009, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    What a shit KDE4 theme.

Leave a comment:

• garytr24
    replied
    Awesome

Reasons for this are obvious. It makes linux win :-). If windows is better on some benchmarks, developers will dig in and figure out why and improve linux. If linux wins, well, then people will use it :-).

Objective benchmarks that are meaningful will drive development. And Windows will have a harder time keeping up, maybe.

What this will do is create a fiercer competition between the OS's, and the end users will benefit.

Leave a comment:

• elvis
    replied
    Very interested to see the results.

I regularly need to performance test Windows against Linux/UNIX for crypto speed and 3D rendering speeds for various clients. Access to PTS will make this a whole lot easier.

Leave a comment:

• bulletxt
    replied
    Most importantly, we all want to see what are you hiding in that recycle bin

I think somoone donated a Windows 7 copy to michael... and I think I understood who :P
    Last edited by bulletxt; 05 November 2009, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DoDoENT
    replied
    WOW!

So when can we expect first Win7 vs Fedora (Ubuntu) vs Snow Leopard benchmarks?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X